Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Join lines on finding a pattern Post 302719081 by nsuresh316 on Monday 22nd of October 2012 05:05:51 AM
Old 10-22-2012
Join lines on finding a pattern

I have a file with the following contents.
Code:
DTP
START
START
START
DTP
START
DTP
START
DTP
START

I like to join the lines like this
Code:
DTP START
    START
    START
DTP START
DTP START
DTP START
DTP START

Code:
My Shell is csh

Last edited by nsuresh316; 10-22-2012 at 06:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding lines matching the Pattern and their previous lines in a file

Hi, I am trying to locate the occurences of certain pattern like 'Possible network disconnect' in a text file. I can get the actual lines matching the pttern using: grep -w 'Possible network disconnect' file_name. But I am more interested in getting the timing of these events which are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed, join lines that do not match pattern

Hello, Could someone help me with sed. I have searched for solution 5 days allready :wall:, but cant find. Unfortunately my "sed" knowledge not good enough to manage it. I have the text: 123, foo1, bar1, short text1, dat1e, stable_pattern 124, foo2, bar2, long text with few lines, date,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrasl
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join the lines until next pattern match

Hi, I have a data file where data is splitted into multiple lines. And, each valid record starts with a patten date | <?xml and ends with pattern </dmm> e.g. 20120924|<?xml record 1 line1....record 1 line1....record 1 line1.... record 1 line2....record 1 line2....record 1 line2.... record 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dipalik
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join all the lines matching similar pattern

I am trying to Join all the lines matching similar pattern. Example ; I wanted to join all the lines which has sam to a single line. In next line, i wanted to have all the lines with jones to a single line....etc > cat sample.txt sam 2012/11/23 sam 2012/12/5 sam 2012/12/5 jones... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the pattern and replacing the pattern inside the file

i have little challenge, help me out.i have a file where i have a value declared and and i have to replace the value when called. for example i have the value for abc and ccc. now i have to substitute the value of value abc and ccc in the place of them. Input File: go to &abc=ddd; if... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
16 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the same pattern in three consecutive lines in several files in a directory

I know how to search for a pattern/regular expression in many files that I have in a directory. For example, by doing this: grep -Ril "News/U.S." . I can find which files contain the pattern "News/U.S." in a directory. I am unable to accomplish about how to extend this code so that it can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk join lines once pattern found

Hi all OS - RHEL6.4 I have input file -f1.txt I need to search line which starts with \Start and read next line till it gets blank line and join them all. I need to trim any trailing spaces for each line.So output.txt should be.. \Start\now\fine stepwatch this space for toolsends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed] Finding and sticking the pattern to the beginning of successive lines up to the next pattern

I have a file like below. 2018.07.01, Sunday 09:27 some text 123456789 0 21 0.06 0.07 0.00 2018.07.02, Monday 09:31 some text 123456789 1 41 0.26 0.32 0.00 09:39 some text 456789012 1 0.07 0.09 0.09 09:45 some text 932469494 1 55 0.29 0.36 0.00 16:49 some text 123456789 0 48 0.12 0.15 0.00... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: father_7
9 Replies
IO::InnerFile(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  IO::InnerFile(3)

NAME
IO::InnerFile - define a file inside another file SYNOPSIS
### Read a subset of a file: $inner = IO::InnerFile->new($fh, $start, $length); while (<$inner>) { ... } DESCRIPTION
If you have a filehandle that can seek() and tell(), then you can open an IO::InnerFile on a range of the underlying file. PUBLIC INTERFACE
new FILEHANDLE, [START, [LENGTH]] Class method, constructor. Create a new inner-file opened on the given FILEHANDLE, from bytes START to START+LENGTH. Both START and LENGTH default to 0; negative values are silently coerced to zero. Note that FILEHANDLE must be able to seek() and tell(), in addition to whatever other methods you may desire for reading it. set_length LENGTH get_length add_length NBYTES Instance methods. Get/set the virtual length of the inner file. set_start START get_start add_start NBYTES Instance methods. Get/set the virtual start position of the inner file. binmode close flush getc getline print LIST printf LIST read BUF, NBYTES readline seek OFFFSET, WHENCE tell write ARGS... Instance methods. Standard filehandle methods. VERSION
$Id: InnerFile.pm,v 1.4 2005/02/10 21:21:53 dfs Exp $ AUTHOR
Original version by Doru Petrescu (pdoru@kappa.ro). Documentation and by Eryq (eryq@zeegee.com). Currently maintained by David F. Skoll (dfs@roaringpenguin.com). perl v5.18.2 2005-02-10 IO::InnerFile(3)