Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Zip a directory based on its age Post 302718885 by Yoda on Sunday 21st of October 2012 11:05:05 AM
Old 10-21-2012
You can first tar the trace folder (choose your name for tar file):-

Code:
tar -cvf /tc/trace.tar /lc/trace

then you can gzip the tar file:-

Code:
gzip /lc/trace.tar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for tar and zip based on month & year

Hi Friends, I'm doing on script which finds all the files with time stamp and makes them tar and zip, based on their respective month&year. for instance "mar-2004.tar.zip" will contain all the files which was created/accessed/modified on mar-2004. like this the entire filesystem should be taken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuxfello
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign zip directory to variable

I'm running an sh shell that is unzipping some zip files that have a directory structure on them. Is there a way I can find the top level directory in the zip file and assign that to a variable? mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skwyer
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

zip unix directory

what's the best command to zip up the whole unix directory, then ftp this to windows for viewing the directories/files. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venhart
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip all files in a directory

I have two files in a directory: xxxx.txt xxxx.csv I need to zip both files up but the command I am doing below is only zipping xxx.txt file????: cd ../$CUSTOMER_DIRECTORY zip -q ${name}${FILE_OUT_NAME}.zip ls -lrt *.csv *.txt can anyone help?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to zip the entire directory

my first question is how to zip the entire directory contents. second question is can we unzip the same file through windows environment. please help i need to complete it by EOD (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip files inside the directory, but not the directory itself

Hi, Im facing a problem that im stucked, I have the following structure: thales@pereirtc-vbox:/home/VfARM$ ls code config doc lib manifest.bak manifest.rel manifest.v3 ns pub if i try to execute zip -q -o arm.zip VfARM/* it will create a zip file with the folder VfARM.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip all files in a directory and move to another directory

Hi, need to zip all files in a directory and move to another directory after the zip.. i am using this one but didnt help me... zip -r my_proj_`date +%Y%m%d%H%MS`.zip /path/my_proj mv in_proj_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.zip /path/source/ i am trying to zip all the files in my_proj... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to zip a directory

Hi , How to compress the entire directory . Rajesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip a file without directory

Hi I was trying to zip some file in a directory using the below command. find /dir1/dir2/ -name "asdf*.txt" -print | zip -m /dir1/dir2/dir3/asd_Date.zip -@ Its getting zipped.But when I am trying to unzip, Its getting unzipped with full directory structure. Is there any command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and copy .zip file based on today's date

Hi Team, I'm new to unix and i have a requirement to copy or move files from one directory to another based on current date mentioned in the .zip file name. Note that i need to copy only the recent zip file. please help me with the code i tried the code as: #! /usr/bin/sh find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun3108
3 Replies
SHTOOL-TARBALL.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					     SHTOOL-TARBALL.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-tarball - GNU shtool command for rolling standardized tarballs SYNOPSIS
shtool tarball [-t|--trace] [-v|--verbose] [-o|--output tarball] [-c|--compress prog] [-d|--directory directory] [-u|--user user] [-g|--group group] [-e|--exclude pattern] path [path ...] DESCRIPTION
This command is for rolling input files under path into a distribution tarballs which can be extracted by tar(1). The four important aspects of good open source software tarballs are: (1) unpack into a single top-level directory, (2) top-level directory corresponds to the tarball filename, (3) tarball files should be sorted and (4) arbitrary names for file owner and group. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -o, --output tarball Output tarball to file tarball. -c, --compress prog Pipe resulting tarball through compression program prog. -d, --directory directory Sets the top-level directory into which the tarball unpacks. By default it is tarball without the trailing ".tar.*" extension. -u, --user user The user (owner) of files and directories in the tarball to user. -g, --group group The group of files and directories in the tarball to group. -e, --exclude pattern Exclude files and directories matching comma-separated list of regex pattern from the tarball. Directories are expanded before the filtering takes place. The default filter pattern is ""CVS,\.cvsignore,\.svn,\.[oa]$"". EXAMPLE
# Makefile.in dist: ... V=`shtool version -d short ...`; shtool tarball -o foobar-$$V.tar.gz -c 'gzip -9' -u bar -g gnu -e 'CVS,.cvsignore' . HISTORY
The GNU shtool tarball command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1999 for GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), tar(1), compress(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-TARBALL.TMP(1)