Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Trouble with pipes in chat client on linux Post 302718381 by Corona688 on Friday 19th of October 2012 01:49:04 PM
Old 10-19-2012
In what way are the pipes "not working"? Always be specific.

Pipes buffer. You may not get a line out of the pipe the instant you write it in.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

multiuser chat server closes when one client closes. code included

I have been trying to write a very basic chat program but at the moment I am having problems getting it to be multiuser as it closes all connections when one client shutsdown. I have also been having problems trying to get the program to display a list of usernames to the clients. I have tried... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dooker
0 Replies

2. Programming

Chat client-server program

Good day everyone, I'm doing a chat client-server program:server is to receive messages from clients through a TCP port and multicast them back to all clients through a UDP port. This is my client program. I'd not know why it just sends and receives msg from server once, then it stops. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powermind
1 Replies

3. Programming

client /server pipes

here is the concept: the client reads a pathname from the standard input and writes it to pipe1.The server reads this pathname from the pipe1 and tries to open the file for reading.If the server can open the file ,the server responds by reading the file and writting it to pipe2;otherwise the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolkki
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server/client chat

I want to make the following programm. Using the server/client model I want 2 client to connect to the server then the server sends back to the clients the ip address and a number of a poort in order to open a udp connection between clients without using the server? What I have done since now is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasma
2 Replies

5. Programming

How can i make two client to chat with each other?

How can i make two client to chat with each other.. without any work of server, i mean peer to peer i am making chat messenger on which all host will connect to/via server and if any host want private chat then thay work independently... this is code(attached) which i have made for server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bt87
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server-client chat with a bit more

The task is to create a server client chat that contains a few basic safeguards against floods etc and which is capable of issuing at least one or two commands on the client computer. Working samples of such arrangements abound but freeware/shareware samples are not readily available. A catch in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with server client chat system

request create a chat system in linux where a user type smth and all the other users connected to server get the message.then a user have to create join leave or delete a channel of chat if he created it.i did the server and the client but i dont know how to implemt the chat rooms.i was ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: demonmind
1 Replies

8. Programming

please help a problem in client-server ipc message 2 pipes communication simple example

I want to have a message send & receive through 2 half-duplex pipes Flow of data top half pipe stdin--->parent(client) fd1--->pipe1-->child(server) fd1 bottom half pipe child(server) fd2---->pipe2--->parent(client) fd2--->stdout I need to have boundary structed message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ouou
1 Replies

9. Programming

logic understanding for inter client chat server

hello everyone, i am making chat server in linux using c. i have made programs in which group chat can take place between multiple clients but i am not able to understand how to make 2 particular clients chat with each other. please help!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sweetbella
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux chat with other users

Besides talk and write are there any other good programs for talking to a particular user on the same Linux system. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
pipe(2) 							System Calls Manual							   pipe(2)

Name
       pipe - create an interprocess channel

Syntax
       include <limits.h> /*Definition of PIPE_MAX*/
       pipe(fildes)
       int fildes[2];

Arguments
       fildes	 Passing an address as an array of two integers into the system call.

Description
       The system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe.	The file descriptors returned can be used in and operations.  Their integer values
       will be the two lowest available at the time of the function call.  The O_NONBLOCK and FD_CLOEXEC flags will be clear on both file descrip-
       tors.

When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1], up to PIPE_MAX bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended.
       A read using the descriptor fildes[0] picks up the data.

It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent calls) pass data through  the
       pipe with and calls.

The shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes.

For further information on how and calls behave with pipes, see the and reference pages.

A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted.

Restrictions
       Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock may occur.

The  underlying	implementation	of  pipes is no longer socket based, but rather implemented through the file system.  Any application that
       needs socket functionality from pipes should use the system call.

Return Values
       The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if an error occurred.

Diagnostics
       The call fails if:

[EMFILE]       Too many descriptors are active.

[ENFILE]       The system file table is full.

[EFAULT]       The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space.

Environment
       Differs from the System V definition in that ENFILE is not a possible error condition.

See Also
       sh(1), fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), write(2)

pipe(2)