Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: delimiters used in UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers delimiters used in UNIX Post 302718091 by momhef4 on Friday 19th of October 2012 06:05:36 AM
Old 10-19-2012
delimiters used in UNIX

Can you point me to information on the different delimited in UNIX like colon, spaces and tabs?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters missing

Hi I have a pipe-delimited file where I eventually need to replace a string stored on the 3th field on a specific record. This is how the file looks like: A|Mike|Lvl 1|... B|... A|Maria|Lvl 1|... C|... B|... A|Jimmy|Lvl 2|... C|... A|Carry|Lvl 0|... C|... B|... A|John|Lvl 8|...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

2. Solaris

To extract everything between two delimiters

My input file looks like " @$SCRIPT/atp_asrmt_adj.sql $SCRIPT/dba2000.scr -s / @$SCRIPT/cim1005w.pls $SCRIPT/dba2000.scr -s / @$SCRIPT/cim1006w.pls start $SCRIPT/cim1020d.sql;^M spool $DATA/cim1021m.sql @$DATA/cim1021m.sql ! rm $DATA/cim1021m.sql spool $DATA/cim1021m.sql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dowsed4u8
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with delimiters

Hello, I have data in a file something like this - UNB+UNOA:1+006415160:1+AR0000012360:ZZ+080701:0552+2++DELFOR++++T'UNH+2+DELFOR:D:97A:UN Here, the delimiters used are + , : and ' . I have a set of such files in which these delimiters vary from one file to another. I am developing a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two delimiters with AWK

Hello, this thread is more about scripting style than a specific issue. I've to grep from a output some lines and from them obtain a specific entry delimited by < and >. This is my way : 1) grep -i user list | awk '{FS="<";print $NF}' | sed -e 's/>//g' 2) grep -i user list | cut -d","... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters in awk

Line from input file a : b : c " d " e " f : g : h " i " j " k " l output k b a Its taking 7th word when " is the delimiter, 2nd and 1st word when : is the delimiter and returning all in one line.... I am on solaris Thanks..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use two delimiters in awk

I have a file having lines like: 14: <a="b" val="c"/> 18: <a="x" val="d"/> 54: <a="b" val="c"/> 58: <a="x" val="e"/> I need to create a file with output: 14 d 54 e So basically, for every odd line I need 1st word if delimiter is ':' and for every even... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting Delimiters

Hi Team, I am trying to get the data in below format Jan 01 | 19:00:32 | xyz | abc | sometext | string however I am not sure of the total number strings which can come in the record hence i cant use something like below as it can end $6 or it can go further cat file| awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_411
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing UNIX 1 byte delimiters to the pipe separator

Hi I am new to Unix Shell scripting have a requirement where I have to replace the "unix 1 byte delimiter" with the "pipe" separator and also remove any carriage returns and line feeds if any The Source File 4 QFH Jungle Hill 32-34 City Road London SE23 3UX the output should be ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters with awk?

I have a file which is separated by delimiter "|", but the prob is one of my column do contain delimiter as description so how can i differentiate it? PS : the delmiter does have backslash coming before it, if occurring in column Annual|Beleagured|Desc|Denver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut between two delimiters, / and .

BASH : I have a very long list I am parsing through: 10/10/19... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies
EXPAND(1)								FSF								 EXPAND(1)

NAME
expand - convert tabs to spaces SYNOPSIS
expand [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Convert tabs in each FILE to spaces, writing to standard output. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -i, --initial do not convert TABs after non whitespace -t, --tabs=NUMBER have tabs NUMBER characters apart, not 8 -t, --tabs=LIST use comma separated list of explicit tab positions --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for expand is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and expand programs are properly installed at your site, the command info expand should give you access to the complete manual. expand (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 EXPAND(1)