Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it. Post 302716985 by jayeshpatel on Wednesday 17th of October 2012 11:32:35 AM
Old 10-17-2012
#echo $a
99m
DR# echo ${a/m/}
ksh: ${a/m/}: bad substitution

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of specific char in a string.

I wish to compute the number of dot chars in a string. Example: VAR="aaaa.bbbbb.cccc" I try the shortest command to solve this test. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Giovanni (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check whether variable number or string

I am passing an argument to a file and i wanna check whether the argument is a number or string ? how can i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi , i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value ABC DEF i want this to appear like this ABC DEF is there any spilt method? please help.... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[csh] checking for specific character ranges in a variable

I want to check if a zip code is valid, using a variable that stores the zipcode. I am not sure how I would do this in a script. I know that simply checking for the numerical range of the number will not work, because '1' would be '00001' in zip code format. I know when I am in shell, I can use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract variable number from a String

hi,I am new to shell script,I have String,like this: Number of rows exported: 5321 the numbe at end could changing,how can I extract this number and assign it to a variable,then use it later in script. thanks. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: vitesse
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping a variable down

I have a variable that has an absolute path for a file on my computer. This dynamically changes. Is there a way I can assign two new variables from that one? variable: /Users/keith/Desktop/test/file.mov 1) filename - no path or extention ....so just....file 2) path no filename or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegate
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a variable

I'm using a shell script to get user input with this command: read UserInput I would then like to take the "UserInput" variable and strip out all of the following characters, regardless of where they appear in the variable or how many occurrences there are: \/":|<>+=;,?*@ I'm not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding variable number of space in between two string

Hi, I am looking for the way to add variable number of spaces between two string. e.g input line is a ,bb abc ,bcb pqr ,bfg My output should be something like this a ,bb abc ,bcb pqr ,bfg This text... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
9 Replies
sa1(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    sa1(8)

NAME
sa1 -- Generate a system activity daily data file. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sa1 [t n] DESCRIPTION
The sa1 command is a shell script used to invoke the system activity data collector, sadc. The binary sample data is collected at intervals t seconds apart, in a loop n times. The binary sample data is written to the standard daily data file, /var/log/sa/sadd where the dd repre- sents the current day of the month. sa1 is intended to be started by cron. EXAMPLE CRON ENTRY
# Starting at 8am collect system activity records # every 20 minutes for 12 hours # 20 minutes = 1200 seconds # 12 hours with 3 samples each hour = 36 loops 0 8 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1200 36 # After the 12 hour period, # collect a system activity report 30 20 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A FILES
/var/log/sa/sadd Default daily activity file that holds the binary sampling data. dd are digits that represent the day of the month. SEE ALSO
sa2(8), sadc(8), sar(1), iostat(8), vm_stat(1), netstat(1), top(1), sc_usage(1), fs_usage(1), crontab(1), crontab(5) Mac OS X Jul 25 2003 Mac OS X