Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming PASSING PART OF FILE CONTENT TO VARIABLE Post 302716693 by Scott2000 on Tuesday 16th of October 2012 06:36:16 PM
Old 10-16-2012
PASSING PART OF FILE CONTENT TO VARIABLE

All,
I have a log file containing lots of data now i want to extract all text between block below(names) without the title or end pattern but only names,
++++START++++
SCOTT TIGER
HENRY PAUL
JARED OTIENO
OMOLLO JA NIGERIA
++++END++++

the names i want to return and store in a variable in my kornshell code.
Any help on this pls?

regards,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file content as a part of an if-statement

Hello, I have following problem. I have the result of a database request. I preparated the result via sed, etc. as a string in a file. The string in the file is: ($3==1 || $3==2 || $3==3 || $3==4) Now I want to use the String as a command in an if-statement. So I assigned the string to a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr_Aleman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable content to a function

following on from below link https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 i will be using file reading in while loop say for example while read line123 do echo "line read is $line123" insert_funct $line123 done< mysqldump.sql... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to another file and replacing

Hi all, I have a script in file1 which gets input from the user say variable "TYPE". This variable is present in the other file2. I want to replace the variable in the file2 with the value given by the user and print the file. How can I achieve this task? file1 code echo "Give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing file content as parameter

Hi All, I am passing a file value as parameter to awk command; Par.txt A|B Input.txt A,1 B,3 C,4 D,5 My desired output should be A,1 B,3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as a file-Scripting Help

Hi Guys, i have a file where data is in the below format:: data1 data2 data3 data4 data4 data6 my script written as:: #!/bin/ksh cd $1 at now <<END sh $2 END Here i want to pass the values stored in the above file one by one till the end of line. Here if i am doing it as:: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atp3530
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from file to Oracle

cat a1 scott robert tom test script : #!/usr/bin/ksh for NAME in `cat a1` do VALUE=`sqlplus -silent "nobody/bobody01@testq" <<END set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select username from dba_users where username=upper('$NAME'); END` if ; then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing a file name to a variable

Below is the command mv AP_FLEXCUBE_INTERFACE10.txt FTPYMNTE_`date "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S" | tr '' ''`.TXT it is changing the file name to a different name according to time stamp dynamically. I want to capture that dynamic file name present in the directory to a variable . After that i want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujit das
6 Replies
EXIGREP(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   EXIGREP(8)

NAME
EXIGREP - Search Exim's main log SYNOPSIS
exigrep [-l] pattern [log file] ... DESCRIPTION
The exigrep utility is a Perl script that searches one or more main log files for entries that match a given pattern. When it finds a match, it extracts all the log entries for the relevant message, not just those that match the pattern. Thus, exigrep can extract complete log entries for a given message, or all mail for a given user, or for a given host, for example. The -l flag means 'literal', that is, treat all characters in the pattern as standing for themselves. Otherwise the pattern must be a Perl regular expression. The pattern match is case-insensitive. If no file names are given on the command line, the standard input is read. If the location of a zcat command is known from the definition of ZCAT_COMMAND in Local/Makefile, exigrep automatically passes any file whose name ends in COMPRESS_SUFFIX through zcat as it searches it. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), perlre(1), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
This manual page was stitched together from spec.txt by Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 26, 2003 EXIGREP(8)