Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HOW TO - Bash REGEX - Print Error when More then One Occurence is Found Consecutively? Post 302716625 by shamrock on Tuesday 16th of October 2012 04:45:31 PM
Old 10-16-2012
Ok my bad...so bash has that operator in any case if you want to look for the presence of two consecutive slashes then your regexp must be formed accordingly since that is what you want to find. Your regexp is looking for a single slash and $user_input contains it so it wont report false. I modified the code a bit to suit what you need to find...
Code:
user_input="/usr/local//myExample/check_process -p 'java' -w 10 -c 20"

MY_PATTERN="[/][/]+"

if [[ ! "$user_input" =~ "$MY_PATTERN" ]]
then
        echo "TRUE:  contains >= 2 consecutive slashes"
else
        echo "FALSE:  doesn't contain >= 2 consecutive slashes"
fi

This User Gave Thanks to shamrock For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print row if value in column 1 is the first occurence

Hi All, I would like to have a script which is able to perform the below. Print the whole row if column1 which is "0001" for the below example is the first occurrence. Subsequent "0001" occurrence will not be printed out and so on. Can any expert help ? Input: 0001 k= 40 0001 k= 2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash syntax error: command not found

I am trying to create a shell that asks the user to enter their name, and compare it to my own by saying we have the same name or saying my name and that they have a nice name too. Here is my script... #!/bin/bash-x echo "Enter your name". read name if then echo "My name is Adam too"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amaxey45
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print first few lines, then apply regex on a specific column to print results.

abc.dat tty cpu tin tout us sy wt id 0 0 7 3 19 71 extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 133.2 0.0 682.9 0.0 1.0 0.0 7.2 0 79 c1t0d0 0.2 180.4 0.1 5471.2 3.0 2.8 16.4 15.6 15 52 aaaaaa1-xx I want to skip first 5 line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print first occurence

Hi there, how can i print the first pattern occurrence in a .log file? I want to print the filename of the first 17262? I tried but all I can do is print all the lines with the number 17262? I tried using awk and sed but nothing!:wall: I just want filename! Here´s an example: 17259... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BMatter
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print between 2 patterns only last occurence

Hi, I have a file, which contains the following log data. I am trying to print fromt he file the following data: I have tried using sed, but I am getting from the first pattern Thanks for your help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print between patterns - first occurence, second occurence etc

I have a file # cat asasas AAAAAA 11 22 33 44 BBBBB NILNILNIL AAAAAA 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 BBBBB NILNILNIL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to match only first occurence with grep

Hello to all, How would be the correct regex to match only the first occurence of the pattern 3.*6. I'm trying with 3.*6 trying to match only 34rrte56, but with my current regex is matching 4rrte567890123456789123powiluur56. And if I try with ? doesn't print anything echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with using awk to print pattern/occurence

Hi, Do anybody know how to use awk to count the pattern at specific column? Input file M2A928K 419 ath-miR159a,gma-miR159a-3p,ptc-miR159a 60 miR235a . . Output file M2A928K 419 ath-miR159a,gma-miR159a-3p,ptc-miR159a 60 miR235a 3 . . I plan to count how many "miR" in column 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - trap error file not found

Hello. In bash, is there a way to trap error "file not found" when a script call another script which is not found; then abort. Example ( part of script running with -x option set) : + return 0 + RETURN_CODE=0 + ] + /root/bin/200_yast_install/00_reset_yast_install bash:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print occurence number

Hi folks, I have a file with lots of lines in a text file,i need to print the occurence number after sorting based on the first column as shown below, thanks in advance. sam,dallas,20174 sam,houston,20175 sam,atlanta,20176 jack,raleigh,457865 jack,dc,7845 john,sacramento,4567 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
4 Replies
GIT-CHECK-REF-FOR(1)                                                Git Manual                                                GIT-CHECK-REF-FOR(1)

NAME
git-check-ref-format - Ensures that a reference name is well formed SYNOPSIS
git check-ref-format [--normalize] [--[no-]allow-onelevel] [--refspec-pattern] <refname> git check-ref-format --branch <branchname-shorthand> DESCRIPTION
Checks if a given refname is acceptable, and exits with a non-zero status if it is not. A reference is used in Git to specify branches and tags. A branch head is stored in the refs/heads hierarchy, while a tag is stored in the refs/tags hierarchy of the ref namespace (typically in $GIT_DIR/refs/heads and $GIT_DIR/refs/tags directories or, as entries in file $GIT_DIR/packed-refs if refs are packed by git gc). Git imposes the following rules on how references are named: 1. They can include slash / for hierarchical (directory) grouping, but no slash-separated component can begin with a dot . or end with the sequence .lock. 2. They must contain at least one /. This enforces the presence of a category like heads/, tags/ etc. but the actual names are not restricted. If the --allow-onelevel option is used, this rule is waived. 3. They cannot have two consecutive dots .. anywhere. 4. They cannot have ASCII control characters (i.e. bytes whose values are lower than 40, or 177 DEL), space, tilde ~, caret ^, or colon : anywhere. 5. They cannot have question-mark ?, asterisk *, or open bracket [ anywhere. See the --refspec-pattern option below for an exception to this rule. 6. They cannot begin or end with a slash / or contain multiple consecutive slashes (see the --normalize option below for an exception to this rule) 7. They cannot end with a dot .. 8. They cannot contain a sequence @{. 9. They cannot be the single character @. 10. They cannot contain a . These rules make it easy for shell script based tools to parse reference names, pathname expansion by the shell when a reference name is used unquoted (by mistake), and also avoid ambiguities in certain reference name expressions (see gitrevisions(7)): 1. A double-dot .. is often used as in ref1..ref2, and in some contexts this notation means ^ref1 ref2 (i.e. not in ref1 and in ref2). 2. A tilde ~ and caret ^ are used to introduce the postfix nth parent and peel onion operation. 3. A colon : is used as in srcref:dstref to mean "use srcref's value and store it in dstref" in fetch and push operations. It may also be used to select a specific object such as with git cat-file: "git cat-file blob v1.3.3:refs.c". 4. at-open-brace @{ is used as a notation to access a reflog entry. With the --branch option, the command takes a name and checks if it can be used as a valid branch name (e.g. when creating a new branch). But be cautious when using the previous checkout syntax that may refer to a detached HEAD state. The rule git check-ref-format --branch $name implements may be stricter than what git check-ref-format refs/heads/$name says (e.g. a dash may appear at the beginning of a ref component, but it is explicitly forbidden at the beginning of a branch name). When run with --branch option in a repository, the input is first expanded for the "previous checkout syntax" @{-n}. For example, @{-1} is a way to refer the last thing that was checked out using "git checkout" operation. This option should be used by porcelains to accept this syntax anywhere a branch name is expected, so they can act as if you typed the branch name. As an exception note that, the "previous checkout operation" might result in a commit object name when the N-th last thing checked out was not a branch. OPTIONS
--[no-]allow-onelevel Controls whether one-level refnames are accepted (i.e., refnames that do not contain multiple /-separated components). The default is --no-allow-onelevel. --refspec-pattern Interpret <refname> as a reference name pattern for a refspec (as used with remote repositories). If this option is enabled, <refname> is allowed to contain a single * in the refspec (e.g., foo/bar*/baz or foo/bar*baz/ but not foo/bar*/baz*). --normalize Normalize refname by removing any leading slash (/) characters and collapsing runs of adjacent slashes between name components into a single slash. If the normalized refname is valid then print it to standard output and exit with a status of 0, otherwise exit with a non-zero status. (--print is a deprecated way to spell --normalize.) EXAMPLES
o Print the name of the previous thing checked out: $ git check-ref-format --branch @{-1} o Determine the reference name to use for a new branch: $ ref=$(git check-ref-format --normalize "refs/heads/$newbranch")|| { echo "we do not like '$newbranch' as a branch name." >&2 ; exit 1 ; } GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-CHECK-REF-FOR(1)