Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to find duplicate pattern in a file irrespective of case Post 302716461 by johnjs on Tuesday 16th of October 2012 12:07:02 PM
Old 10-16-2012
Thanks Don. it works. I would like to ignore spaces or # as the start of a configuration. It should take as the start of the record, only if the record starts with a character/number and line ends with :\

Code:
ABCD:\

---------- Post updated at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:03 PM ----------

Thanks.. i tried the sed command.. but i am getting the below error.

Code:
sed: illegal option -- i

Last edited by Scott; 10-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find script with input pattern file

Howdy: I have a file with 140+ file name patterns. Each prefix can have dozens of files with different extension names. e.g. 1-S51 1113-G6V 1117-G6V 1119-G6V 1127-G6V 12XW-AF5W 14-UA8N I need to search in 12 directories, (/data/lgc1/basin_mas to /data/lgc12/basin_mas) for all the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: iguanathompson
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find file name for non matching pattern

Hi, I want to list only the file names which do not contain a specific keyword or search string. OS: Solaris Also is there any way ; through the same script I can save the output of search to a CSV (comma seperated) so that the file can be used for inventory purpose. Any assistance will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujoy101
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Updating entire column irrespective of any data in a file

Hi, I have a file A.txt (tab separated) as below: pavan chennai/tes/bangalore 100 sunil mangalore/abc/mumbai 230 kumar delhi/nba/andhra 310 I want to change only second column as below . Rest of columns as it is ;The ouput file is also tab... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpavan2004
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find out duplicate records in file?

Dear All, I have one file which looks like : account1:passwd1 account2:passwd2 account3:passwd3 account1:passwd4 account5:passwd5 account6:passwd6 you can see there're two records for account1. and is there any shell command which can find out : account1 is the duplicate record in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

logrotate irrespective of the size of a file/directory

hi, How to logrotate irrespective of the size of a file/directory...? Please help me in this regard... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedeepthi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File pattern in Case

Hi , I have writen a scipt and passing one Parameter. In the scipt i want verify the parameter patteren using Case statement. exp: sh script.sh 1213 Code: i want verify the paramater values as only number not charater. can you please advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CSV file:Find duplicates, save original and duplicate records in a new file

Hi Unix gurus, Maybe it is too much to ask for but please take a moment and help me out. A very humble request to you gurus. I'm new to Unix and I have started learning Unix. I have this project which is way to advanced for me. File format: CSV file File has four columns with no header... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindosu
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate based on 'n' fields and mark the duplicate as 'D'

Hi, In a file, I have to mark duplicate records as 'D' and the latest record alone as 'C'. In the below file, I have to identify if duplicate records are there or not based on Man_ID, Man_DT, Ship_ID and I have to mark the record with latest Ship_DT as "C" and other as "D" (I have to create... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find duplicate and add pattern in sed/awk

<Update> I have the solution: sed 's/\{3\}/&;&;---;4/' The thread can be marked as solved! </Update> Hi There, I'm working on a script processing some data from a website into cvs format. There is only one final problem left I can't find a solution. I've processed my file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lolworlds
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to find duplicate values

The data below consits of items with Class, Sub Class and Property values. I would like to find out same value being captured for different property values for a same Class/Sub Class combination (with in an Item & across items). Like 123 being captured for PAD1, PAD2, PAD4 for ABC-DEF, 456 captured... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aramacha
4 Replies
LOCATE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOCATE(1)

NAME
locate -- find files SYNOPSIS
locate [-d dbpath] pattern DESCRIPTION
locate searches a database for all pathnames which match the specified pattern. The database is recomputed periodically, and contains the pathnames of all files which are publicly accessible. Shell globbing and quoting characters (``*'', ``?'', ``'', ``['' and ``]'') may be used in pattern, although they will have to be escaped from the shell. Preceding any character with a backslash (``'') eliminates any special meaning which it may have. The matching differs in that no characters must be matched explicitly, including slashes (``/''). As a special case, a pattern containing no globbing characters (``foo'') is matched as though it were ``*foo*''. Options: -d dbpath Sets the list of databases to search to dbpath which can name one or more database files separated by ``:'', an empty component in the list represents the default database. The environment variable LOCATE_PATH has the same effect. EXIT STATUS
locate exits with a 0 if a match is found, and >0 if no match is found or if another problem (such as a missing or corrupted database file) is encountered. FILES
/var/db/locate.database Default database /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb Script to update database. SEE ALSO
find(1), fnmatch(3), weekly.conf(5) Woods, James A., "Finding Files Fast", ;login, 8:1, pp. 8-10, 1983. HISTORY
The locate command appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
April 5, 2003 BSD