Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with sed command - find a string between two characters Post 302714683 by vivek_damodaran on Friday 12th of October 2012 12:13:38 PM
Old 10-12-2012
Help with sed command - find a string between two characters

Hi,

I have a xml file (Config.xml)
Code:
<Header name="[Measure]" TDate="[COB]" PDate="[PCOB]">
        <Config>
                {"config" { "Nation" "Pri:[Region]|Sec:[SecRegion]"}}
        </Config>
</Header>

Now I wanted to printed all the strings between "[" and "]". I tried the following
Code:
cat Config.xml | sed -n 's/.*\[//;s/\].*//p'

But its only printing below strings (the last occurance in each line).
Code:
PCOB
SecRegion

What I expect is
Code:
Measure
COB
PCOB
Region
SecRegion

Can someone help please?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with find and replace w/string containing special characters

Can I get some help on this please, I have looked at the many post with similar questions and have tried the solutions and they are not working for my scenario which is: I have a text file (myfile) that contains b_log=$g_log/FILENAME.log echo "Begin processing file FILENAME " >> $b_log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to find string and return following characters from list of files

Hi, I'm fairly new to UNIX, but hopefully some-one can help me with this: I am using the following code to find files with the name "example.xml": find . -name "example.xml" -print that would print me a list like the example here: ./dir1/dir2/example.xml... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boijie
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED help delete characters in a string

Hi Please help me to refine my syntax. I want to delete the excess characters from the out put below. -bash-3.00$ top -b -n2 -d 00.20 |grep Cpu|tail -1 | awk -F ":" '{ print $2 }' | cut -d, -f1 4.4% us now i want to delete the % and us. How wil i do that to make it just 4.4. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: redtred
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed cut characters of string

helloo I wonder if there's a way to cut characters out of a string and keep only the last 2 by using sed. For example if there's the todays' date: 2012-05-06 and we only want to keep the last 2 characters which are the day. Is there a quick way to do it with sed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and then return the next 20 characters in multiple files

Hello all, I have a directory with 2000+ files. I need to look in each file for an invoice number. To identify this, i can search for the string 'BIG' and then retrieve the next 30 characters. I was thinking awk for this, but not sure how to do it. Each file contains one long string and in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdinero
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/replace alpha characters in string

Hi, I would like to find a 3-letter character series in a string/variable and replace it with x's. An example set of strings is: 563MS333_101_afp_400-100_screening 563MS333_104-525_rjk_525_screening 563MS333_110_dlj_500-100_w24 563MS333_888-100_mmm_424_screening The only constants... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace nth characters with string

Hi, I hope you can help me out please? I need to replace from character 8-16 with AAAAAAAA and the rest should stay the same after character 16 gtwrhtrd11111111rjytwyejtyjejetjyetgeaEHT wrehrhw22222222hytekutkyukrylryilruilrGEQTH hrwjyety33333333gtrhwrjrgkreglqeriugn;RUGNEURGU ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
XIntersectRegion(3)						  XLIB FUNCTIONS					       XIntersectRegion(3)

NAME
XIntersectRegion, XUnionRegion, XUnionRectWithRegion, XSubtractRegion, XXorRegion, XOffsetRegion, XShrinkRegion - region arithmetic SYNTAX
int XIntersectRegion(Region sra, Region srb, Region dr_return); int XUnionRegion(Region sra, Region srb, Region dr_return); int XUnionRectWithRegion(XRectangle *rectangle, Region src_region, Region dest_region_return); int XSubtractRegion(Region sra, Region srb, Region dr_return); int XXorRegion(Region sra, Region srb, Region dr_return); int XOffsetRegion(Region r, int dx, int dy); int XShrinkRegion(Region r, int dx, int dy); ARGUMENTS
dest_region_return Returns the destination region. dr_return Returns the result of the computation. ds Dy move or shrink dx dy Specify the x and y coordinates, which define the amount you want to the specified region. r Specifies the region. rectangle Specifies the rectangle. sra srb Specify the two regions with which you want to perform the computation. src_region Specifies the source region to be used. DESCRIPTION
The XIntersectRegion function computes the intersection of two regions. The XUnionRegion function computes the union of two regions. The XUnionRectWithRegion function updates the destination region from a union of the specified rectangle and the specified source region. The XSubtractRegion function subtracts srb from sra and stores the results in dr_return. The XXorRegion function calculates the difference between the union and intersection of two regions. The XOffsetRegion function moves the specified region by a specified amount. The XShrinkRegion function reduces the specified region by a specified amount. Positive values shrink the size of the region, and negative values expand the region. SEE ALSO
XCreateRegion(3), XDrawRectangle(3), XEmptyRegion(3) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 XIntersectRegion(3)