Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk - replace first hyphen
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - replace first hyphen Post 302713795 by locoroco on Thursday 11th of October 2012 10:09:22 AM
Old 10-11-2012
awk - replace first hyphen

How do I use awk to replace the first hyphen of a specific record?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of hyphen in #! line

In one script i have seen - in #! line can somebody explain the meaning of -(hyphen) here #! /bin/sh - (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruva
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to remove text in each line after hyphen?

Hi, I'm trying to do something relatively simple. I have a txt file that has the following kinds of lines (and many more lines): CP19 Oahu - Maunawili Falls CP20 Oahu - Maunawili Falls AG12 Oahu - Maunawili Falls CP22 Oahu - Maunawili Falls, Local area AG14 Oahu CP141 KZ102 Kauai -... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the last hyphen

I want to check for more than one hyphen and then hold the first one and delete the rest of the hyphen. I try something like this sed 's/\(*\)\1/\1/' but this doesn't work. I try something like this sed 's/\(*\)-\1/ \1/g' but here the script delete all the hyphen. I want to go from this : I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacing a substring containing a hyphen

I'm attempting to replace a substring that contains a hyphen and not having much success, can anyone point out where i'm going wrong or suggest an alternative. # echo /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow | sed -e 's|vm888-clone|qaz|g' /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print unique text in field before hyphen

Trying to print the unique values in $2 before the -, currently the count is displayed. Hopefully, the below is close. Thank you :). file chr2:46603668-46603902 EPAS1-902|gc=54.3 253.1 chr2:211471445-211471675 CPS1-1205|gc=48.3 264.7 chr19:15291762-15291983 NOTCH3-1003|gc=68.8 195.8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a hyphen between two delimiters using sed

Hey guys, I have a file that is delimited by | and I am trying to write a sed command to convert this: abc|def||ghi|jkl||||mnop into this: abc|def|-|ghi|jkl|-|-|-|mnop The output I am getting out of: sed -e "s/+//g" /tmp/opt.del > /tmp/opt2.del is like: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prohank
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing space with hyphen in a pattern.

I have a huge text file, about 52 GB. In the file, there are patterns like these: ] ] ] ]One can see that there is text within patterns such as and ], and I am only interested in ]. There is text before and after all these patterns too, for example, ''Anarchism''' is a ] that advocates ]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with awk when joining two files when field has '-' hyphen

Dear Community; I need to join two files but I am facing issues. 1st file has multiple columns. Primary (1st) columns has unique values. There are other columns out of which some has non-ascii characters as well (other language). Example File below: 1-1001JRL,BiRecurring... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script to extract a column, replace one of the header and replace year(from ddmmyy to yyyy)

I have a csv which has lot of columns . I was looking for an awk script which would extract a column twice. for the first occurance the header and data needs to be intact but for the second occurance i want to replace the header name since it a duplicate and extract year value which is in ddmmyy... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kunalcurious
10 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)