Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tape tar error
Operating Systems Solaris tape tar error Post 302713667 by mosies on Thursday 11th of October 2012 05:10:04 AM
Old 10-11-2012
unfortunately, when i check the /var/adm message, i see the following for the 2nd tape:

Code:
Oct 11 13:31:19 01 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/pci@0/scsi@2/st@0,0 (st0):
Oct 11 13:31:19 01        Error for Command: write file mark         Error Level: Fatal
Oct 11 13:31:19 01 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]  Requested Block: 1                         Error Block: 1
Oct 11 13:31:19 01 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]  Vendor: HP                                 Serial Number:    9   $DR-1
Oct 11 13:31:19 01 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]  Sense Key: Volume Overflow
Oct 11 13:31:19 01 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]  ASC: 0x0 (end of partition/medium detected), ASCQ: 0x2, FRU: 0x0
Oct 11 13:31:19 01 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]  End-of-Media Detected

is this still io error? or tape full? because both tapes shows EOT....

Last edited by mosies; 10-12-2012 at 06:23 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar to tape and back

Howdy, I'm trying to tar some directories to tape and then extract them from tape on another machine. I was hoping someone could help me with the syntax of the tar commands. Both machines are running Solaris 8. Need to get all files and directories under the following: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmetal
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to remote tape

I tried to buckup some oracle archive logs (from a solaris machine) to a remote tape (in a HP-UX machine). I added the solaris machine name and user to .rhosts, and i tried to use this commande : tar cvf HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn /u01/* The probleme that it gives: HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn : No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lasgaa
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar: tape blocksize error

When trying to extract a tar file in HP-UX using tar -xvf command it exits with the following error :"Tar: tape blocksize error". Tar file is created using the following command with MKS toolkit(Unix Simulation Kit for Windows env) under Windows 2000 Professional: "$tar -cvf test.tar test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dump and tar backup in one tape

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. I need to ask a few question. I would like to know if it is possible to use dump and tar command for backup in one tape. If it is possible, how do I restore it back? Fyi, I'm using the Digital Unix 4.0E OSF/1 box. (old box) :-) Thank you. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apokobondo
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Error tar'ing files to tape

I'm trying to tar a bunch of files off to a tape, but for one specific file (it is fairly large, roughly 10Gb) I get the error: too large to archive Does tar have a limit of the size of file it can write off to tape? I'm using SunOS 5.8. Thanks! -Fred (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing tar file to tape

Hi Guy`s I`m a newbie to Unix and I`m starting to love it I got stuck donig backups of tar files to tape I use this to find all tar files find . -name '*.tar.*' > output in output there would be n of file eg. 6 the size output is 156 but tar files are: 9.3M Jul 18 09:48... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to tape drive command

I want to use this command to tar to tape: tar cf - DIR | compress > `hostname`_`date +%m-%d-%y`.DIR.tar.Z this of course goes to the FS. How do I modify this to go directly to tape? My tape device is /dev/rmt/0 thanks. Having so many posts you should be familiar using code tags.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
7 Replies
scsi_extended_sense(9S) 				    Data Structures for Drivers 				   scsi_extended_sense(9S)

NAME
scsi_extended_sense - SCSI extended sense structure SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/scsi/scsi.h> INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). DESCRIPTION
The scsi_extended_sense structure for error codes 0x70 (current errors) and 0x71 (deferred errors) is returned on a successful REQUEST SENSE command. SCSI-2 compliant targets are required to return at least the first 18 bytes of this structure. This structure is part of scsi_device(9S) structure. STRUCTURE MEMBERS
uchar_t es_valid :1; /* Sense data is valid */ uchar_t es_class :3; /* Error Class- fixed at 0x7 */ uchar_t es_code :4; /* Vendor Unique error code */ uchar_t es_segnum; /* Segment number: for COPY cmd only */ uchar_t es_filmk :1; /* File Mark Detected */ uchar_t es_eom :1; /* End of Media */ uchar_t es_ili :1; /* Incorrect Length Indicator */ uchar_t es_key :4; /* Sense key */ uchar_t es_info_1; /* Information byte 1 */ uchar_t es_info_2; /* Information byte 2 */ uchar_t es_info_3; /* Information byte 3 */ uchar_t es_info_4; /* Information byte 4 */ uchar_t es_add_len; /* Number of additional bytes */ uchar_t es_cmd_info[4]; /* Command specific information */ uchar_t es_add_code; /* Additional Sense Code */ uchar_t es_qual_code; /* Additional Sense Code Qualifier */ uchar_t es_fru_code; /* Field Replaceable Unit Code */ uchar_t es_skey_specific[3]; /* Sense Key Specific information */ es_valid, if set, indicates that the information field contains valid information. es_class should be 0x7. es_code is either 0x0 or 0x1. es_segnum contains the number of the current segment descriptor if the REQUEST SENSE command is in response to a COPY, COMPARE, and COPY AND VERIFY command. es_filmk, if set, indicates that the current command had read a file mark or set mark (sequential access devices only). es_eom, if set, indicates that an end-of-medium condition exists (sequential access and printer devices only). es_ili, if set, indicates that the requested logical block length did not match the logical block length of the data on the medium. es_key indicates generic information describing an error or exception condition. The following sense keys are defined: KEY_NO_SENSE Indicates that there is no specific sense key information to be reported. KEY_RECOVERABLE_ERROR Indicates that the last command completed successfully with some recovery action performed by the target. KEY_NOT_READY Indicates that the logical unit addressed cannot be accessed. KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR Indicates that the command terminated with a non-recovered error condition that was probably caused by a flaw on the medium or an error in the recorded data. KEY_HARDWARE_ERROR Indicates that the target detected a non-recoverable hardware failure while performing the command or during a self test. KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST Indicates that there was an illegal parameter in the CDB or in the additional parameters supplied as data for some commands. KEY_UNIT_ATTENTION Indicates that the removable medium might have been changed or the target has been reset. KEY_WRITE_PROTECT/KEY_DATA_PROTECT Indicates that a command that reads or writes the medium was attempted on a block that is protected from this operation. KEY_BLANK_CHECK Indicates that a write-once device or a sequential access device encountered blank medium or format-defined end-of-data indication while reading or a write-once device encountered a non-blank medium while writing. KEY_VENDOR_UNIQUE This sense key is available for reporting vendor-specific conditions. KEY_COPY_ABORTED Indicates that a COPY, COMPARE, and COPY AND VERIFY command was aborted. KEY_ABORTED_COMMAND Indicates that the target aborted the command. KEY_EQUAL Indicates that a SEARCH DATA command has satisfied an equal comparison. KEY_VOLUME_OVERFLOW Indicates that a buffered peripheral device has reached the end-of-partition and data might remain in the buffer that has not been written to the medium. KEY_MISCOMPARE Indicates that the source data did not match the data read from the medium. KEY_RESERVE Indicates that the target is currently reserved by a different initiator. es_info_{1,2,3,4} is device-type or command specific. es_add_len indicates the number of additional sense bytes to follow. es_cmd_info contains information that depends on the command that was executed. es_add_code (ASC) indicates further information related to the error or exception condition reported in the sense key field. es_qual_code (ASCQ) indicates detailed information related to the additional sense code. es_fru_code (FRU) indicates a device-specific mechanism to unit that has failed. es_skey_specific is defined when the value of the sense-key specific valid bit (bit 7) is 1. This field is reserved for sense keys not defined above. SEE ALSO
scsi_device(9S) ANSI Small Computer System Interface-2 (SCSI-2) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 1995 scsi_extended_sense(9S)