Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to execute a script by one user at a time Post 302711983 by pamu on Monday 8th of October 2012 09:49:34 AM
Old 10-08-2012
Use one file to maintain the script status.

It is just hint.
Cons - If you use ctrl c in middle of script then next time you can't run the script even if script is not running.
Solution - Get PID at the start of the script and then use that to check if the script is still running or not.( this i left for your exercise)

try something this..

Code:
if [[ ! -f test_script_check ]]
then
echo "test2.sh" > test_script_check
echo "script is running"
sleep 100
rm test_script_check
else
echo "script is already running"
fi

Last edited by pamu; 10-08-2012 at 01:17 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to pamu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a part of shell script only after particular date and time

I have created a simple shell script... say test.sh Contents of test.sh ================ service named restart cp /etc/imp.conf /backup/test/ #-- if date > 15 July 2007 11:23 pm , then only issue the commans below, else exit --- cp /etc/secondimp.conf /backup/test/ rm -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

i want a script to execute if the time is 12:00 automatically

i write a script for displaying a xmessage.But i want it to run automatically for every one hour.can any one help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute internal script as different user

I have a script that I must run as user X and need to send the results to a different server as user Y (sftp). User Y has been set up to not require password authentication between the 2 servers. I would prefer to keep these in a single script, as our operations might have to run it from time to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aubtc
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to execute user command

I don't know why the following shell script doesn't work. Could you please help me out? #!/usr/bin/ksh test="cal > /tmp/tmp.txt 2>&1" $test I know it will work for the following format: #!/usr/bin/ksh cal > /tmp/tmp.txt 2>&1 However, I need to get the command from the user in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redtiger
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

login into root from user and execute command through script

i have logged in as user. I want to write a script to login into root and execute commands for eg. ifconfig or other command. kindly help me out. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change user on remote machine and execute script!

Hi, I need to login into remote server and execute a shell script over there. As of now i am making use of ssh command ssh primUser@135.254.242.2 sh /poll.sh I am logging in as primUser but unless i change the user to root the script execution on the remote machine is not possible. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutham4u
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for login to servers with user name and password and execute commands

I am having the 15 servers which need to do the monitoring Hi I need a shell script, By which i can log in to multiple servers and execute the commands.. I need to specify the username and password in the scripts. Please help me to write the script so that it can login with username and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nandan8a
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Allow user without dir write permission to execute a script that creates files

In our project we have several unix scripts that trigger different processes. These scripts write logs to a particular folder 'sesslogs', create output data files in a separate directory called 'datafiles' etc. Usually L1 support team re-run these scripts . We donot want L1 support team to have... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script without execute permissions will work for a user?

Please help me to understand the issue: Issue: There are shell scripts in a user home directory (/home/user_1) without execute permissions (rw-r--r--) to owner,group and world These shell scripts were able to execute/work previously but its not working now and it says permission denied or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSK_1990
2 Replies
INSTALLSIEVE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   INSTALLSIEVE(1)

NAME
installsieve - user utility for managing sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
installsieve DESCRIPTION
installsieve is a utility that allows users to manage their sieve scripts kept on the server. OPTIONS
-v <name> View script with the given name. The script if retrieved sucessfully is output to standard output. -l List all of the scripts currently on the server. If one of the scripts is active a arrow is printed indicating that it is the active script. -p <port> Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to "sieve" as defined in /etc/services. -i <file> Install a file onto the server. If a script with the same name already exists on the server it is overwritten. Upon sucessfully putting the script on the server the script is set active. If <file> has the extension .script it is chopped when put on the server since sieve names may not contain a '.'. -a <name> Set <name> as the active script. The list of available names can be obtained from the '-l' option.. -d <name> Delete the sieve script on the server with <name>. -m <mechanism> Force installsieve to use <mechanism> for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism is chosen. -g <name> Get the sieve script with <name> and save it to disk with a ".script" extension. If a file with that name already exists it is overwritten. -u <user> Userid/Authname to use for authentication; by default, the current user. CMU
Project Cyrus INSTALLSIEVE(1)