Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Word Count In A Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Word Count In A Script Post 302711311 by domdom110 on Friday 5th of October 2012 06:22:23 PM
Old 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
I am curious. Why not?

Regards,
Alister

homework for college i will modifiy any code that is given the class is advance programming and the teacher is good but hard to follow so i learn from asking questions

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count word

hi, given a file i need to get the first line and secodn line and count each of the line whether the length of first line and second line is the same i don;t know how to get the length of the line...seems like use 'wc' cannot do it... please advice (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ariuscy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to count a word in a flie

hi All, I have one question to have a answer with your help. i need to have a script for searching a file with .log extension form all directories. search for a word " Pass" in the files and to count the occurence of the word "Pass". i need all your help to solve the problem. Thanks,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sipmohan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

specified word count

hi iam trying to do a specified word count on file called text i have a few ideas but don't get the result i want do any one have a idea please help i have this at the moment cat text echo "Please enter the word you are looking for:" read string echo "the word < $string > occurs in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaviknp
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting - write a script that will count the number of times a particular word

hello everyone, I'm trying to learn some scripts but i cant get my head around two of them. 1. how can i write a script that will count the number of times a particular word is used in file? 2. how can i make a script that will take me to a web page from unix? if anyone could help it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Word count

Script that lists all words used in one or more files and displays their count (pattern /\W+/ to split the lines of the input file into words can b used).. It should display list in format word:count...gets Filename as an cmd line argument! eg: $perl test doc (where doc is d file we are going to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if, word count

Hi, I need to count the lines of a file stack.html and if the amount lines i want to do something. At this moment, I have if ; then ... This is not working. Any ideas? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: azertyazerty
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count word occurrences, but exclude some?

I am trying to count the occurrences of ALL words in a file. However, I want to exclude certain words: short words (i.e. <3 chars), and words contained in an blacklist file. There is also a desire to count words that are capitalized (e.g. proper names). I am not 100% sure where the line on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cronk
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)