Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: No delete black spaces!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting No delete black spaces! Post 302710403 by Xedrox on Thursday 4th of October 2012 11:44:59 AM
Old 10-04-2012
Data No delete black spaces!

Hi,

I have the next problem, i am triying to concatenate two variables with white spaces at the cornes, but the shell deletes them.

For example i have the next code:

A="Hello "
B="Hello"

echo $A$B

output: Hello Hello

You can see only one space between the words, and i put 5 space after the first "Hello".

How can i keep this spaces for cancatenate two words? SmilieSmilie

Thanks!

P.D. Sorry for my english, it is very bad.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete white spaces

hi all... i have the next question: i have a flat file with a lot of records (lines). Each record has 10 fields, which are separated by pipe (|). My problem is what sometimes, in the first record, there are white spaces (no values, nothing) in the beginning of the record, like this: ws ws... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete spaces in between fields

I am new to unix and need some assistance. I have a file in the format below with about 15 fields per each record. I have 2 records displayed below. "1234","Andy ","Rich ","0001","123 Main Street ","Dallas " "2345","Andrew ","Richter ","0002","234 First Ave ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete spaces in the variable in unix script?

Hi All, I need your help.I want to know how to delete the spaces in a variable in unix scripting.Please give solution to this probelm... thanks ! :confused: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: MARY76
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete spaces around a word

suppose a line has one word ex: unix how to delete space around that word? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete Multiple White Spaces

Hi, I have a file that has multiple spaces between characters. I want to delete or convert the multiple spaces into a single space. I think this can be done in "sed" but I only know the syntax to delete trailing or leading spaces. Can this be done with "sed" or awk? I have a file that looks... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eja
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to remove " in a file and delete empty spaces

I have to remove character " in file which occurs at every line and have to delete empty spaces. Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram2008
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete empty spaces at specific column

Hi All, If anybody could help me with my scenario here. I have a statement file. Example of some content: DATE DESC Debit Credit Total Rate 02-Jan-08 Lodgement 200.00 1200.00 2.51 14-Sep-07 Withdrawal 50.00 1000.00 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yonez
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete ending/trailing spaces using awk,sed,perl?

How to delete ending/trailing spaces using awk,sed,perl? Input:(each line has extra spaces at the end) 3456 565 3 7 35 878 Expected output: 3456 565 3 7 35 878 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete leading spaces in a .csv if not in a string

Solaris, ksh I have a .csv file I am trying to clean up before loading into the database. The file contains comma separated columns that have leading spaces which I need to remove. The trouble is, some columns that should not be touched are strings which happen to have the same pattern in them. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line breaks and extra spaces between patterns

Hi, if in between strings "<section" and "</section>" across multiple lines there occurs the string "ole-present", delete all line breaks and replace any tabs or multiple spaces with a single space. Looking for an AWK or SED solution. Thank you. <section ... status = "ole-present" ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioavi
2 Replies
WALL(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   WALL(1)

NAME
wall -- send a message to everybody's terminal. SYNOPSIS
wall [ message ] DESCRIPTION
Wall sends a message to everybody logged in with their mesg(1) permission set to yes. The message can be given as an argument to wall, or it can be sent to wall's standard input. When using the standard input from a terminal, the message should be terminated with the EOF key (usually Control-D). The length of the message is limited to 20 lines. NOTES
There is an undocumented (well not anymore..) option, "-n", that supresses the banner printed by wall . This is for usage by rwalld (8). Wall will not allow you to use that flag if wall is installed set-group-id and the user executing wall is not root. For every invocation of wall a notification will be written to syslog, with facility LOG_USER and level LOG_INFO. ENVIRONMENT
Wall ignores the TZ variable - the time printed in the banner is based on the systems local time. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), rpc.rwalld(8). AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 12 September 2000 WALL(1)