Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed to pattern match within a particular multiline block and take action Post 302709917 by tirodad on Wednesday 3rd of October 2012 06:00:51 PM
Old 10-03-2012
Using sed to pattern match within a particular multiline block and take action

Hi all,
This is my first post, so please go easy if I broke some rules. Not accustomed to posting in forums... Smilie

I'm looking for help on pattern matching within a multiline block and looking to highlight blocks/block-ids that do NOT contain a particular pattern.

For example an input file might contain the following:

Code:
fruit APPLE
   blah1
   PATTERN
   blah2
fruitend

fruit ORANGE
blah1
blah2
blah3
fruitend

fruit KIWI
PATTERN
blah1
blah2
fruitend

In the above case, I would like the block of ORANGE or the keyword ORANGE printed, since the recognized pattern was not found.

I've been playing around with this for a while with no desired results found!! Smilie

Code:
sed -n '
/fruit /,/fruitend/ {H;g;s/\n//g;}
/PATTERN/ !p;
/fruit /,/fruitend/ !h;
'

Those results are the closest I can get to what I really want of:

Code:
    fruit ORANGE

being the only listed output.

I figured out another way to do it, but was hoping to do it in one sed. I figured out if I pipe it through another sed statement like this:

Code:
<PREVIOUS OUTPUT>  | sed -n 's/fruit \([A-Z]*\).*fruitend/\1/p'

That will print ORANGE only.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk match a multiline pattern

Hello! i wanna match in a config file, one text with more than one lines, something like this: CACHE_SIZE{ 10000 M } I have problems with the ends of line, i think that i can match the end of the line with \n, but i can't get it Someone can help me with the regular expression? ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: claw82
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete block of lines when pattern does not match

I have this input file that I need to remove lines which represents more than 30 days of processing. Input file: On 11/17/2009 at 12:30:00, Program started processing...argc=7 Total number of bytes in file being processed is 390 Message buffer of length=390 was allocated successfully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline pattern search using sed or awk

Hi friends, Could you please help me to resolve the below issue. Input file :- <Node> <username>abc</username> <password>ABC</password> <Node> <Node> <username>xyz</username> <password>XYZ</password> <Node> <Node> <username>mnp</username> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern match problem

Hi all, hoping this is a simple one, tried looking but just can't see the solution As an example I've got a list of words that all start Ben..... Bendicks Benefiber Ben Benylin I need to only change the line Ben with Ben 10, ignoring the other lines. I tried the following ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match a pattern starting with sub-pattern using sed

Hi all, I've been experiencing a difficulty trying to match a number and write it to a new file. My input file is: input.txt It contains the lines: 103P 123587.256971 3.21472112 3.1517423 1.05897234566427 58.2146258 12.35478 25.3612489 What would be the sed command to... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Biederman
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Pattern Match

Hi, I would like to use SED to do the following string replacement: asd1abc to www1cda asd2abc to www2cda ... asd9abc to www9cda I can use 'asd.abc' to find the orignal string, however I don't know how to generate the target string. Any suggestion? Thanks, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail4mz
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed multiline pattern match

How can I write a script that takes a cisco config file and outputs every occurrence of two, or more, pattern matches through the whole config file? For example, out of a config file, i want to print out every line with interface, description and ip address through the whole file, and disregard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: knownasthatguy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : match one pattern then the next consecutive second pattern not working

Ive used this snippet of code on a solaris box thousands of times. But it isnt working on the new linux box sed -n '/interface LoopBack0/{N;/ ip address /p;}' *.conf its driving me nuts !! Is there something Im missing ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match with awk/sed - help

I need to grep for the pattern text inside the square brackets which are in red and not in green..my current code greps patterns both of them, which i don't want Input fileref|XP_002371341.1| oxoacyl-ACP reductase, putative gb|EPT24759.1| 3-ketoacyl-(acyl-carrier-protein) reductase ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get range out using sed or awk, only if given pattern match

Input: START OS:: UNIX Release: xxx Version: xxx END START OS:: LINUX Release: xxx Version: xxx END START OS:: Windows Release: xxx Version: xxx ENDHere i am trying to get all the information between START and END, only if i could match OS Type. I can get all the data between the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dharmaraja
3 Replies
RAKE(1) 						 Ruby Programmers Reference Guide						   RAKE(1)

NAME
rake -- Ruby Make SYNOPSIS
rake [--f Rakefile] [--version] [-CGNPgnqstv] [-D [PATTERN]] [-E CODE] [-I LIBDIR] [-R RAKELIBDIR] [-T [PATTERN]] [-e CODE] [-p CODE] [-r MODULE] [--rules] [variable=value] target ... DESCRIPTION
Rake is a simple ruby(1) build program with capabilities similar to the regular make(1) command. Rake has the following features: o Rakefiles (Rake's version of Makefiles) are completely defined in standard Ruby syntax. No XML files to edit. No quirky Makefile syntax to worry about (is that a tab or a space?). o Users can specify tasks with prerequisites. o Rake supports rule patterns to synthesize implicit tasks. o Flexible FileLists that act like arrays but know about manipulating file names and paths. o A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier. OPTIONS
--version Display the program version. -C --classic-namespace Put Task and FileTask in the top level namespace -D [PATTERN] --describe [PATTERN] Describe the tasks (matching optional PATTERN), then exit. -E CODE --execute-continue CODE Execute some Ruby code, then continue with normal task processing. -G --no-system --nosystem Use standard project Rakefile search paths, ignore system wide rakefiles. -I LIBDIR --libdir LIBDIR Include LIBDIR in the search path for required modules. -N --no-search --nosearch Do not search parent directories for the Rakefile. -P --prereqs Display the tasks and dependencies, then exit. -R RAKELIBDIR --rakelib RAKELIBDIR --rakelibdir RAKELIBDIR Auto-import any .rake files in RAKELIBDIR. (default is rakelib ) -T [PATTERN] --tasks [PATTERN] Display the tasks (matching optional PATTERN) with descriptions, then exit. -e CODE --execute CODE Execute some Ruby code and exit. -f FILE --rakefile FILE Use FILE as the rakefile. -h --help Prints a summary of options. -g --system Using system wide (global) rakefiles (usually ~/.rake/*.rake ). -n --dry-run Do a dry run without executing actions. -p CODE --execute-print CODE Execute some Ruby code, print the result, then exit. -q --quiet Do not log messages to standard output. -r MODULE --require MODULE Require MODULE before executing rakefile. -s --silent Like --quiet, but also suppresses the 'in directory' announcement. -t --trace Turn on invoke/execute tracing, enable full backtrace. -v --verbose Log message to standard output (default). --rules Trace the rules resolution. SEE ALSO
ruby(1) make(1) http://rake.rubyforge.org/ REPORTING BUGS
Bugs, features requests and other issues can be logged at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/projects/show/rake>. You will need an account to before you can post issues. Register at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/account/register>. Or you can send an email to the author. AUTHOR
Rake is written by Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> UNIX
November 7, 2012 UNIX