Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automated e-mailer problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automated e-mailer problem Post 302709717 by Corona688 on Wednesday 3rd of October 2012 01:09:49 PM
Old 10-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensw
I found out how to get the # of CPU. I guess if one of the CPUs happen to be too busy, then an e-mail may not get sent?
No. That has nothing to do with it. Any UNIX system can multitask.
Quote:
Was able to reduce the runtime from 30min to 6min, looks like all e-mails got sent. It checks to see how many CPUs the host has then tries to do a sendmail on each of them I imagine.
It has more to do with how much RAM your user is allowed to use, or how many simultaneous processes you're allowed to create, than how many CPU's you have. Having your script limit itself in any fashion would and did help.

Your script is probably slow for reasons other than sendmail. If you're new to shell, there may be some simple things turned inside out. Post it and we can help.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-03-2012 at 02:16 PM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

automated back up problem

Hi.. I am using HP UX 11.0 i want to make automated back up from SAM back up tool.... so i mentioned the file systems and back up device /dev/rmt/0m and time 0:00 and days of the week........ but it was not successful.....the back up job was not started on specified time..... i am in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailer Deamon Question

does somebody knows why when my IRIX system is booting it stop for more than 3 minutes in MAILER DEMOND.??? Thanks in advance for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michoacan2000
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command line mailer

What is the difference betweeen MAILX and SENDMAIL. I have SENDMAIL configured in my system, how is it different then MAILX, espicially in the syntax of sending mail from the command line. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dctm_deve
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Drop mailer-daemon mails

Hi all, I am using a Solaris 10 machine as SMTP server. All MAILER-DAEMON mails that are not delivered are getting stuck in /var/spool/mqueue . Is there any way to DISCARD/DROP/DELETE such mails automatically so that they don't pile up in my queue ? regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)