Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Globbing or not globbing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Globbing or not globbing Post 302708253 by Lem on Monday 1st of October 2012 09:53:12 AM
Old 10-01-2012
Of course. Smilie

Maybe you can avoid it this way:
Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
cd /var/lib
for arg in $@; do
    for file in /var/lib/$arg; do  
        date >> $file
    done
done

Then call it this way:
sh -f -c "./dummy.sh a*.dat"
--
Bye

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / bash globbing question

I would like to process a list of files matching: GPS*\.xyz with an awk script. I would then like to output the files to GPS*\.xyz.out (e.g. the same file name appended with .out). Something like: awk '{if(NR==1) {offset=-$1}; $1=$1+offset; print }' GPS*.xyz this does exactly what I want EXCEPT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franzke
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbing slash Wildcarding Question

I am on HP-UX and I am trying to come up with a method to call in a list of files named like so. filename020107.dat filename020207.dat filename020307.dat Obviously I can list them ls them like so, ls filename*.dat. In case you did not notice the number is a date and I was hoping to match... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

globbing, $# is too high after wildcard expansion in bash script

How can I pass in an argument such as "*.k" to a bash script without having to double-quote *.k and not having *.k `glob` to match all files in the pattern? I tried using noglob in my script but this didn't work the way I thought it would.. expansion is still occuring, $# is higher than I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoo591
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File globbing questions

hi guys, jus some file globbing questions sed "s/^.*on//" what does the full stop and asterisk means? i onli know that ^ means inverse or not (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ment0smintz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negation in Bash Globbing

$ ls -1 a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 * b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 ** a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1The last result is not as expected. Why? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File globbing order

Hi , I'm facing a different behaviour with one of my shell script for last few days. It was working good before that. here is my code for the script FileRemove.sh #get the file name# file1=$1 file2=$2 rm $file1 # delete the old file mv $file2 <target path> #move the new file to the target... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
5 Replies
Ns_Sock(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 				       Ns_Sock(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_BindSock, Ns_GetSockAddr, Ns_SockAccept, Ns_SockAsyncConnect, Ns_SockAsyncConnect2, Ns_SockBind, Ns_SockCloseLater, Ns_SockConnect, Ns_SockConnect2, Ns_SockListen, Ns_SockListenEx, Ns_SockPipe, Ns_SockSetBlocking, Ns_SockSetNonBlocking, Ns_SockStrError, Ns_SockTimedCon- nect, Ns_SockTimedConnect2, ns_pipe, ns_sockpair - library procedures SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" Ns_BindSock(arg, arg) Ns_GetSockAddr(arg, arg) Ns_SockAccept(arg, arg) Ns_SockAsyncConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockAsyncConnect2(arg, arg) Ns_SockBind(arg, arg) Ns_SockCloseLater(arg, arg) Ns_SockConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockConnect2(arg, arg) Ns_SockListen(arg, arg) Ns_SockListenEx(arg, arg) Ns_SockPipe(arg, arg) Ns_SockSetBlocking(arg, arg) Ns_SockSetNonBlocking(arg, arg) Ns_SockStrError(arg, arg) Ns_SockTimedConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockTimedConnect2(arg, arg) ns_pipe(arg, arg) ns_sockpair(arg, arg) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These functions ... SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Sock(3aolserver)