Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append a searched string with another string using sed Post 302708077 by elixir_sinari on Monday 1st of October 2012 03:51:38 AM
Old 10-01-2012
Please post the contents of test.txt and mention what you need to do to get the final/required output along with the required output. This way you might get a better solution than the unnecessary pipeline.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found..The issue is the last... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position in samefile

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found in the same file..The... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
27 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

put a string before a searched string

hi all! i have a working that looks like this... file1 MALE JOHN MALE ANJO FEMALE ANNE MALE JAMES FEMALE HONEY FEMALE IZA what i want to do is insert "M" when the first string is "MALE" and insert "F" when the first string is "FEMALE". file1 M MALE ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

greping last occurrence of the searched string

Hello, I have active log file i want to grep the last occurrence of the word in that log file the log file gets on increasing and increasing i want to fetch it from live file. Please guide me, Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidurmittal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append to string

I am trying to replace in multiple files every instance of text that begins with http and add hyperlink characters to it. I can get it to work with the following:sed -e "s/http*.*/<a href=\"&\">&<\/a>/g" * as long as the http text is at the end of the file. I need it to stop at the end of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to find first appearance and append string

I have a file like below #GROUP A belongs to Asia GROUP A jojh hans local admin GROUP A gege fans michel jing jong #GROUP U belongs to USA GROUP U jeff goal hello world My requirement is to grep for first apperence of GROUP A which is not commented and append my name to end of file.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkk
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search String and extract few lines under the searched string

Need Assistance in shell programming... I have a huge file which has multiple stations and i wanted to search particular station and extract few lines from it and the rest is not needed Bold letters are the stations . The whole file has multiple stations . Below example i wanted to search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)