Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Problem Executing "lvcreate" Command Post 302707935 by mojoman on Sunday 30th of September 2012 12:41:58 PM
Old 09-30-2012
Problem Executing "lvcreate" Command

Hi everyone, I use Fedora 17.

I used gparted to created a dev/sdb2 partition. I then used vgextend to extend the volume group. The output of vgdisplay shows the condition of my volume group:

Code:
--- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vg_data
  System ID             
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        2
  Metadata Sequence No  86
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               1
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                2
  Act PV                2
  VG Size               297.59 GiB
  PE Size               32.00 MiB
  Total PE              9523
  Alloc PE / Size       6249 / 195.28 GiB
  Free  PE / Size       3274 / 102.31 GiB
  VG UUID               AR8t1M-VnYV-TIFC-tCzi-ZeO6-gFUd-SZo2Kw

Clearly there is enough free space for me to create additional logical volumes.
I want to make a new one called lv_windows7.
When I execute this command, I get the following

Code:
 [root@speed-daemon ~]# lvcreate -L 99G -n lv_windows7 vg_data
  device-mapper: resume ioctl on  failed: Invalid argument
  Unable to resume vg_data-lv_windows7 (253:4)
  Failed to activate new LV.
  Attempted to decrement suspended device counter below zero.

This is quite odd. And when I look up in the logs I see:

Code:
Sep 30 12:34:41 speed-daemon kernel: [ 1216.060250] device-mapper: table: 253:4: sdb1 too small for target: start=409536512, len=2883584, dev_size=409600000

For some odd reason, the kernel is not realizing that it should put the new space on /dev/sdb2. I installed system-config-lvm and it shows me that the volume group consists of /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2. I can cheat and use this utility to make the new lvm but I works as a systems administrator so I like to learn via command line. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "at" / "Cron" Command New Problem...Need help

Hi All, I am trying to schedule a one time job using the at command with the help of shell script for my project. The shell script should take a parameter as a command line argument from the at command itself. Is it possible to take a command line parameter for a shell script in the command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohanraj
3 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem executing awk in shell "not found"

Hello, The INPUT file a.txt contains this a a a b b b I'm trying to execute this shell script from the Unix Command Line like this: ./k.sh a.txt > newfile.txt #!/usr/bin/sh infile="$1" awk '{print $0;}' < $infile I get this error message on the command line: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "find" and "grep" command

I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' (mind the leading blank). In a first approach I coded: find / -exec ls -ld {} | grep -v ' /proc/| /sys/' \; > /tmp/list.txt But this doesn't work. I got an error (under Ubuntu): grep:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem on SQLplus command ""bash: sqlplus: command not found""

Hi all, i face an error related to my server ""it's running server"" when i use sqlplus command $ sqlplus bash: sqlplus: command not found the data base is up and running i just need to access the sqlplus to import the dump file as a daily backup. i already check the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clerck
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies
VGDISPLAY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      VGDISPLAY(8)

NAME
vgdisplay - display attributes of volume groups SYNOPSIS
vgdisplay [-A|--activevolumegroups] [-c|--colon|-s|--short|-v|--verbose] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [--nosuffix] [-P|--partial] [--unitshHbBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] [--version] [VolumeGroupName[VolumeGroupName...]] vgdisplay --columns | -C [--aligned][-d|--debug][-h|-?|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure][--noheadings][--nosuffix] [-o|--options[+]Field[,Field]] [-O|--sort[+|-]Key1[,[+|-]Key2[,...]]] [-P|--partial] [--separatorSeparator] [--unbuffered] [--unitshHbB- sSkKmMgGtTpPeE] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [VolumeGroupName[VolumeGroupName...]] DESCRIPTION
vgdisplay allows you to see the attributes of VolumeGroupName (or all volume groups if none is given) with it's physical and logical vol- umes and their sizes etc. vgs (8) is an alternative that provides the same information in the style of ps (1). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options and vgs for options given with --columns. -A, --activevolumegroups Only select the active volume groups. -c, --colon Generate colon separated output for easier parsing in scripts or programs. N.B. vgs (8) provides considerably more control over the output. The values are: 1 volume group name 2 volume group access 3 volume group status 4 internal volume group number 5 maximum number of logical volumes 6 current number of logical volumes 7 open count of all logical volumes in this volume group 8 maximum logical volume size 9 maximum number of physical volumes 10 current number of physical volumes 11 actual number of physical volumes 12 size of volume group in kilobytes 13 physical extent size 14 total number of physical extents for this volume group 15 allocated number of physical extents for this volume group 16 free number of physical extents for this volume group 17 uuid of volume group -s, --short Give a short listing showing the existence of volume groups. -v, --verbose Display verbose information containing long listings of physical and logical volumes. If given twice, also display verbose runtime information of vgdisplay's activities. --version Display version and exit successfully. --columns|-C Display output in columns, the equivalent of vgs. Options listed are the same as options given in vgs (8). SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgs(8), pvcreate(8), vgcreate(8), lvcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGDISPLAY(8)