Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cygwin errors
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cygwin errors Post 302707633 by millsy5 on Saturday 29th of September 2012 06:45:39 AM
Old 09-29-2012
Cygwin errors

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or should I even be posting this here but here is my problem. I've recently installed Cygwin on my windows laptop so that I can run shell scripts. However I'm getting lots of errors with most lines of code in my scripts although the syntax is correct. I've left a message with the Cygwin mailing list (closest thing to a forum) but I have not received any reply.

I have a very simple script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#

FRUIT="kiwi"

case "$FRUIT" in 
"apple") echo "Apple" ;;
"banana") echo "Banana" ;;
"kiwi") echo "Kiwi" ;;
esac

/usr/bin/debug.sh: line 3: $'\r': command not found
/usr/bin/debug.sh: line 5: $'\r': command not found
/usr/bin/debug.sh: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'
/usr/bin/debug.sh: line 6: 'case "$FRUIT" in

The first 2 errors (lines 3 & 5) always occur when there is a blank line. I've no idea why this is a problem.

Please help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about cygwin

hi everyone. i have a problem on installing binary file in my cygwin. could anyone help me wat command should i use to install it ? thanks a lot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wins1982
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin

Hi , I have cygwin software on my machine. can i practice shell script on that software or not? thanks sam71 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam71
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

4. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cygwin - sh-3.2$ help!

i am completely new to unix and am trying to learn with cygwin. my problem is simple.... when i use the 'man' command, eg 'man cat' id do not know how to get out of the manual!!!? if i type '!' and Return, rather than having just the $ prompt, it has 'sh-3.2$' as a command prompt.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby999
1 Replies

7. Programming

cygwin

hello ... i am new with cygwin ... and i want you to help me. ... First of all, i want to determine the steady state stream function in a 2-D duct using a square mesh by using the finite-difference methodology and i want to simulate it....and i read a lot of information at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mostafamagdy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone else use Cygwin?

I started to gather some stats from our windows servers through the use of cygwin and sshd :) is anyone else doing this sort of thing? interested in some other indicators I should be checking for... thanks, manny the following is only an example of the type of data I am able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

opening new instance of cygwin from withing cygwin

I'm using cygwin on win7, What I would like to do is something like this: cygstart cygwin tail -f /foo/test.log | perl -pe 's/error/\e I know I can start a new instance using either of these: mintty -e ... cygstart tail ... But neither of those open in ANSI mode, so I can't do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin Errors: Yaml Configuration issues

Hi everyone! Hope all of you will be fine. I am new to this forum. Well, I am trying to configure yaml-0.1.4 in cygwin on Windows 7. I have written the following command: *******/tmp/yaml-0.1.4 $ ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install and the following error appeared. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imdalucky1
3 Replies
SMRSH(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  SMRSH(8)

NAME
smrsh - restricted shell for sendmail SYNOPSIS
smrsh -c command DESCRIPTION
The smrsh program is intended as a replacement for sh for use in the ``prog'' mailer in sendmail(8) configuration files. It sharply limits the commands that can be run using the ``|program'' syntax of sendmail in order to improve the over all security of your system. Briefly, even if a ``bad guy'' can get sendmail to run a program without going through an alias or forward file, smrsh limits the set of programs that he or she can execute. Briefly, smrsh limits programs to be in a single directory, by default /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ allowing the system administrator to choose the set of acceptable commands, and to the shell builtin commands ``exec'', ``exit'', and ``echo''. It also rejects any commands with the characters ``', `<', `>', `;', `$', `(', `)', ` ' (carriage return), or ` ' (newline) on the command line to prevent ``end run'' attacks. It allows ``||'' and ``&&'' to enable commands like: ``"|exec /usr/local/bin/filter || exit 75"'' Initial pathnames on programs are stripped, so forwarding to ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/home/server/mydir/bin/vaca- tion'', and ``vacation'' all actually forward to `/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/vacation''. System administrators should be conservative about populating the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory. For example, a reasonable additions is vacation(1), and the like. No matter how brow-beaten you may be, never include any shell or shell-like program (such as perl(1)) in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory. Note that this does not restrict the use of shell or perl scripts in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory (using the ``#!'' syntax); it simply disallows execution of arbitrary programs. Also, including mail filtering programs such as procmail(1) is a very bad idea. procmail(1) allows users to run arbitrary programs in their procmailrc(5). COMPILATION
Compilation should be trivial on most systems. You may need to use -DSMRSH_PATH="path" to adjust the default search path (defaults to ``/bin:/usr/bin'') and/or -DSMRSH_CMDDIR="dir" to change the default program directory (defaults to ``/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/''). FILES
/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ - default directory for restricted programs on SuSE Linux SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) $Date: 2004/08/06 03:55:35 $ SMRSH(8)