Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: "test*" file creation.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting "test*" file creation. Post 302707483 by LMHmedchem on Friday 28th of September 2012 04:15:43 PM
Old 09-28-2012
This probably has to do with you use of *. The file name test* refers to any file that starts with test and has anything after it, like.

test1
test2
test.txt
test.whatever

you should probably not use the * to create a single file. It really doesn't make any sense since its purpose is to refer to anything that starts with whatever is before the *, or anything that has a specific ending.

You can use * to do things like "delete all files with the extension .txt"

rm *.txt

or copy everything that starts with 44 to a new directory

cp 44* ./newdir/

and things like that.

LMHmedchem

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

3. AIX

mkinstallp package creation failing "no such file: ./usr/lpp/<package name>/inst_root"

Hello, I'm trying to build a (bff) package from an already installed program (clam antivirus) using mkinstallp. However, mkinstallp fails with "no such file: ./usr/lpp/<package name>/inst_root" I'm not sure why all files get created ok except for these particular ones. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonte
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shc : trying to test functionality "test" compiling but can not execute

I am testing shc to see if it would help with my need. Im at a point where Im trying to compile and test the "test.ksh" file that comes in the tar ball : shc-3.8.9> shc -v -r -f test.ksh shc shll=ksh shc =-c shc =exec '%s' "$@" shc = shc opts= shc: cc test.ksh.x.c -o test.ksh.x... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
wibble-test-genrunner(1)				      General Commands Manual					  wibble-test-genrunner(1)

NAME
wibble-test-genrunner - Code generator for wibble testsuites. SYNOPSIS
wibble-test-genrunner header <file> wibble-test-genrunner main <files> DESCRIPTION
The program generates .cpp files that are then compiled and linked into a test program for running tests from .test.h files. Examples of such .test.h files may be found among wibble headers, eg. /usr/include/wibble/regexp.test.h. In the first form, the program processes a single header file (usually of the form foo.test.h) and produces a corresponding .cpp file to be compiled. In the second form, it takes as <files> all the .test.h headers and produces a single main.cpp which contains the main() function of the test program, which then runs all the tests in all the .test.h files. The generated source code is always written to standard output and it is left up to the user to redirect it to a meaningful location. The program currently has no options other than the two forms above. The program is intended to be run as part of build process of programs or libraries using the wibble testing framework. For convenient use from CMake, there is a test.cmake script under /usr/share/wibble, that takes care of producing all the .cpp files (both per-header and the main one), compiling them and linking them into a single binary which executes the testsuite. AUTHOR
Petr Rockai <me@mornfall.net> wibble-test-genrunner(1)