Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files Post 302707241 by pamu on Friday 28th of September 2012 08:44:20 AM
Old 09-28-2012
try to read about rsync

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the checksum of files in 2 different folders

Hi I have 2 different folders on different machines. they are supposed to be same but some time for unknown reason they are not. then we have to generate a report for files which are not matching. I was doing as below - cd folder1 find . -type f | sort | cksum >1.txt cd folder2 find .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files in two folders and delete missing ones

I do not know much about shell scripting so I am at a loss here. If someone can help me, that would be great! I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to delete all files from /dir1 and that does not have a correspondent file in /dir2. It should NOT check file suffixes in /dir2 . Why?... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaah
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Helppppppp I need script Copy permissions of files and folders from one server to another

Helpppppppppppppp Hi.. I have 2 servers with linux suse10. I made a mistake and on one of the servers changed with chmod the permission of root in directory /. In the other servers the permissions are correct Please i need a script, to change the permissions of one server 1, using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ave-phoenix
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need script Copy permissions of files and folders from one server to another

Hi.. I have 2 servers with linux suse10. I made a mistake and on one of the servers changed with chmod the permission of root in directory /. In the other servers the permissions are correct Please i need a script, to change the permissions of one server 1, using the same permission of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ave-phoenix
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! Need to compare 2 folders on 2 different systems, and copy unmatched filenames to other folder

This has been tearing my hair out. I need to: 1: compare server1:/data/archive/ to server2:/data/archive/ (through rsync, ssh, etc) 2: filenames that don't match, get copied (scp) to server2:/data/ server1 and server2 have ssh, scp, rsync access between eachother. Is there any option in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare field and get the missing in Linux shell.

I have a log file A.txt 2012/11/13 20:06:11 |t112|Locations 12, 13, 14, 15|NET12/full_ddr3_2X_FV_4BD_1.qt|norway|0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15|norway22 2012/11/14 14:23:19 |t112|Locations 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabercats
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you compare two folders and copy the difference to a third folder in a remote server?

How do you compare one local folder and a remote folder and copy the difference to a third folder in a remote folder.e.g. Folder A -- Is in a remote server and it has the following files TEST1.OUT TEST2.OUT TEST3.OUT Folder B --Is in a local server and it has the following files ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare files in 2 folders and delete the large file

Hello, my first thread here. I've been searching and fiddling around for about a week and I cannot find a solution.:confused: I have been converting all of my home videos to HEVC and sometimes the files end up smaller and sometimes they don't. I am currently comparing all the video files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Josh52180
5 Replies
apropos(1)							   User Commands							apropos(1)

NAME
apropos - locate commands by keyword lookup SYNOPSIS
apropos keyword... DESCRIPTION
The apropos utility displays the man page name, section number, and a short description for each man page whose NAME line contains keyword. This information is contained in the /usr/share/man/windex database created by catman(1M). If catman(1M) was not run, or was run with the -n option, apropos fails. Each word is considered separately and the case of letters is ignored. Words which are part of other words are considered; for example, when looking for `compile', apropos finds all instances of `compiler' also. apropos is actually just the -k option to the man(1) command. EXAMPLES
Example 1 To find a man page whose NAME line contains a keyword Try example% apropos password and example% apropos editor If the line starts `filename(section) ...' you can run man -s section filename to display the man page for filename. Example 2 To find the man page for the subroutine printf() Try example% apropos format and then example% man -s 3s printf to get the manual page on the subroutine printf(). FILES
/usr/share/man/windex table of contents and keyword database ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
man(1), whatis(1), catman(1M), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
/usr/share/man/windex: No such file or directory This database does not exist. catman(1M) must be run to create it. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1996 apropos(1)