Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Delete syslog but size disk can't increase Post 302706597 by edydsuranta on Thursday 27th of September 2012 04:13:41 AM
Old 09-27-2012
Delete syslog but size disk can't increase

Hi Experts,

I have a problem wih /var. Disk /var is full. After i investigate, i found file /var/log/syslog.0 is growing rapidly. The size is 4.3G. I tried to move syslog.0 to another disk and file was moved successfully.

My question is why size /var can't increase? used space still 100%.

When i check the size of syslog.0 in place that i moved, the size is 4.3G. But free space of /var still 0%

I'm using Solaris 10.

Please share your thought/experience.

Thanks
Edy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

increase size

Hi All, one of the mount point in Hp ux server has reached 95% its a data base file and can not be deleted. so i want to know how to increase the size of mount point i am new to unix ,please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyoti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to increase the filesystem size?

Hi.. I want to increase the file system size of any filesystem online, without using the Volume manager like LVMs, is it possible? & if yes then how? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to increase process size ???

Hi All, Could anybody tell me how to increase/decrease a process size in UNIX HP machine ? Whether the process size limitation will cause core dump ? Thanks, Rohit.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronix007
1 Replies

4. Solaris

increase Root size

Dear all, I am very new to solaris, I have installed solaris 10, i tried installing few softwares into file system, unfortunately system failed to install stating "No space left on device " i searched few threads and it says, we have to increase root size. where my root size is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhnki
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase salt size

Unix protect its password by using salt It that mean larger the salt size the more secure? if the salt size increase greatly, will the password still able to be cracked? thank you for helping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogen
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to increase Virtual Disk size

Hello, I am working AIX VIO server and extended Virtual Disk of one of the Partition with 10GB. After starting partition, i am not able to see increased size of disk. Can you please help me what I need to do to increase the size of virtual disk from partition? Thanks Kishor ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorbhede
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase size to sd[b-c]

hi guys I am working on my vmware workstation. I have a /dev/sdb which is 5GB. I am using LVM. Now I increase /dev/sdb 2 more GB. fdisk -l shows 7 GB but pvscan still shows 5GB. how do I make my system recognize the new 7GB added and be able to add those to my physical volumen and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kopper
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How Can We Increase the Size of Our Community?

Any suggestions on how to increase the number of posters and contributors? Please vote and write in your suggestions. Thank you! (72 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
72 Replies

9. SCO

Increase disk size on OS side on the fly

Hi, I'm Linux administrator who happens to 'administer' SCO Unix 5.0.7, which is virtual server on VMware - deployed from official ovf image. My problem is that root filesystem is almost out of disk space, and we've decided to do it as we do on every other virtual servers and extend disk on... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldenboy
13 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase disk size of guest domain

Host System: SPARC S7-2 Server; 2x8-core CPUs; 128Gb RAM; 2x600Gb HDD. running Solaris 11.3. Last login: Tue Sep 19 14:42:42 2017 from xxx.xxx.xxx Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 11.3 June 2017 $ uname -a SunOS sog01 5.11 11.3 sun4v sparc sun4v $ Original physical systems: Sun... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apmcd47
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-JOURNALD.SERVICE(8)				     systemd-journald.service				       SYSTEMD-JOURNALD.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-journald.service, systemd-journald.socket, systemd-journald - Journal service SYNOPSIS
systemd-journald.service systemd-journald.socket /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald DESCRIPTION
systemd-journald is a system service that collects and stores logging data. It creates and maintains structured, indexed journals based on logging information that is received from the kernel, from user processes via the libc syslog(3) call, from STDOUT/STDERR of system services or via its native API. It will implicitly collect numerous meta data fields for each log messages in a secure and unfakeable way. See systemd.journal-fields(7) for more information about the collected meta data. Log data collected by the journal is primarily text-based but can also include binary data where necessary. All objects stored in the journal can be up to 2^64-1 bytes in size. By default, the journal stores log data in /run/log/journal/. Since /run/ is volatile, log data is lost at reboot. To make the data persistent, it is sufficient to create /var/log/journal/ where systemd-journald will then store the data. systemd-journald will forward all received log messages to the AF_UNIXSOCK_DGRAM socket /run/systemd/journal/syslog, if it exists, which may be used by Unix syslog daemons to process the data further. See journald.conf(5) for information about the configuration of this service. SIGNALS
SIGUSR1 Request that journal data from /run/ is flushed to /var/ in order to make it persistent (if this is enabled). This must be used after /var/ is mounted, as otherwise log data from /run is never flushed to /var regardless of the configuration. SIGUSR2 Request immediate rotation of the journal files. KERNEL COMMAND LINE
A few configuration parameters from journald.conf may be overridden on the kernel command line: systemd.journald.forward_to_syslog=, systemd.journald.forward_to_kmsg=, systemd.journald.forward_to_console= Enables/disables forwarding of collected log messages to syslog, the kernel log buffer or the system console. See journald.conf(5) for information about these settings. ACCESS CONTROL
Journal files are, by default, owned and readable by the "systemd-journal" system group but are not writable. Adding a user to this group thus enables her/him to read the journal files. By default, each logged in user will get her/his own set of journal files in /var/log/journal/. These files will not be owned by the user, however, in order to avoid that the user can write to them directly. Instead, file system ACLs are used to ensure the user gets read access only. Additional users and groups may be granted access to journal files via file system access control lists (ACL). Distributions and administrators may choose to grant read access to all members of the "wheel" and "adm" system groups with a command such as the following: # setfacl -Rnm g:wheel:rx,d:g:wheel:rx,g:adm:rx,d:g:adm:rx /var/log/journal/ Note that this command will update the ACLs both for existing journal files and for future journal files created in the /var/log/journal/ directory. FILES
/etc/systemd/journald.conf Configure systemd-journald behaviour. See journald.conf(5). /run/log/journal/machine-id/*.journal, /run/log/journal/machine-id/*.journal~, /var/log/journal/machine-id/*.journal, /var/log/journal/machine-id/*.journal~ systemd-journald writes entries to files in /run/log/journal/machine-id/ or /var/log/journal/machine-id/ with the ".journal" suffix. If the daemon is stopped uncleanly, or if the files are found to be corrupted, they are renamed using the ".journal~" suffix, and systemd-journald starts writing to a new file. /run is used when /var/log/journal is not available, or when Storage=volatile is set in the journald.conf(5) configuration file. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), journalctl(1), journald.conf(5), systemd.journal-fields(7), sd-journal(3), setfacl(1), pydoc systemd.journal. systemd 208 SYSTEMD-JOURNALD.SERVICE(8)