Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Text processing doubt
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Text processing doubt Post 302706317 by rajkumarin on Wednesday 26th of September 2012 01:00:56 PM
Old 09-26-2012
Text processing doubt

How to print nth column of a pattern/file without using awk,cut commands?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processing a text file

A file contains one name per line, such as: john doe jack bruce nancy smith sam riley When I 'cat' the file, the white space is treated as a new line. For example list=`(cat /path/to/file.txt)` for items in $list do echo $items done I get: john doe (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text file processing

Hello! There is a text file, that contains hierarchy of menues, like: Aaaaa->Bbbbb Aaaaa->Cccc Aaaaa-> {spaces} Ddddd (it means that the full path is Aaaaa->Cccc->Ddddd ) Aaaaa-> {more spaces} Eeeee (it means that the full path is Aaaaa->Cccc->Ddddd->Eeeee ) Fffffff->Ggggg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alias47
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

seeking help in text processing

Hi, I am a newbie in shell scripting. I want to get an expert help in solving a text processing issue. The issue I am facing is that, in the below log file contents I need to extract each block of lines (it could be a single line also) based on some regular expression and store it in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alecs
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk text processing

Hi Very much appreciate if somebody could give me a clue .. I undestand that it could be done with awk but have a limited experience. I have the following text in the file 1 909 YES NO 2 500 No NO . ... 1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing of file

I have a text file which is a dataset. and I need to convert it into a CSV format The file is as follows : First line : -1 3:1 11:1 14:1 19:1 39:1 42:1 55:1 64:1 67:1 73:1 75:1 76:1 80:1 83:1 Second line " +1 5:1 11:1 15:1 32:1 39:1 40:1 52:1 63:1 67:1 73:1 74:1 76:1 78:1 83:1 There are a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
6 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing using awk

I dispose of two tab-delimited files (the first column is the primary key): File 1 (there are multiple rows sharing the same key, I cannot merge them) A 28,29,30,31 A 17,18,19 B 11,13,14,15 B 8,9File 2 (there is one only row beginning with a given key) A 2,8,18,30,31 B ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with text processing

I have an Input file which has a series of lines(which could vary) followed by two blank lines and then another series of lines(Could be any number of lines) followed by two blank lines and then repeats. I need to use filters to convert the following input file(which is an example) to an output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikerboy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing

Hi, Need an advise on $ cat test.txt START field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field6 END 12345|6|1|2|3|4|111|119 67890|6|1|3|8|9|112|000 $ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getmilo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for text processing

Hi,my file is in this format ", \"symbol\": \"Rbm38\" } ]" I want to convert it to a more user readable format _id pubmed text symbol 67196 18667844 Overexpression of UBE2T in NIH3T3 cells significantly promoted colony formation in mouse cell cultures Ube2t 56190 21764855 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: biofreek
3 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)