Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Piping Problem
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Unix Piping Problem Post 302705893 by Corona688 on Tuesday 25th of September 2012 04:36:10 PM
Old 09-25-2012
Nope. it runs ls -r. Since ls doesn't read anything you type into it, just lists files, that's pretty pointless.

The assignment told you what command to feed ls's output into -- sort. There's an actual command named that, which does what it says on the label. Smilie

You could have just done ls -r in the very first exec to have it list in reverse order from the start, avoiding having to launch a second process. But then you wouldn't be learning how pipes work...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping in UNIX

All, I am a UNIX novice with a question that I hope you can help me with. I have a UNIX application called "Tole" that formats and displays specific information about customers. I can display the information for up to 30 customers by seperating customer IDs using commas in this format: Tole -c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simo007
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with exit code when piping

i am writing a script to perform some mysqldumps and gzip them. The problem I am running into is that if the user specifies a database that doesn't exist, the error the mysql engine produces is still piped into gzip, and the exit code returned is 0. If I don't pipe into gzip, an exit code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitoffish
4 Replies

3. Programming

Java with Unix (Redirection + Piping)

Hi, To explain this question I will have to go into a bit of detail. I hope you don't mind. currently I have a log handler (an already compiled c++ version) and what it does is makes a log file and writes all the unix output (echo, etc) of a script to that log file. To me the log_handler is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluke_perf
3 Replies

4. Programming

piping from C to python in UNIX

Hi, I'm trying to wrap my head around piping in C - I've got a small C program that forks and pipes stuff from the child process to the parent process. Currently the child process calls a C program that squirts out random numbers which then pipes the result to the parent process. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dreams in Blue
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem piping input to script with echo

I am trying to have a script run without interaction from the command line. So in my script i have a line like this echo -e "\n\n\ny\ny\n" | ./script the goal being the ability to mimic 3 Enter presses and 2 'y/n' responses with 'y' followed by enter. For some reason tho, it is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcdef
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in piping the file(s) content from zip files

Hi friends I have a zip file 1.zip which contains three text files a.txt b.txt c.txt I want to grep some text(keyword) in those 3 files without extracting all the three files to a local directoryusing the command, unzip -p 1.zip |grep "search text" >result.txt The Output file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping Unix Variable Array values into AWK

#ksh Here is my code: ERRORLIST="43032 12001 12002 12003 12004 34019 49015 49016 49017 49018 49024 49025 49026 58004 72003 12005 12006 12007 12008 12011 12012 16024 16023" for ERROR in ${ERRORLIST} do awk -v l="$lastdate" '/^....-..-../&&$0>l{d=$0}d&&/Error: '"${ERROR}"'/{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Piping Problem

Hey, I want to create a new file (devices) with the 39th and the 40th character of the line wich is in the array line and in the file drivers. But unfortunately my try doesn't work: sed -n '$linep' drivers | cut -c 39-40 | echo >>devices Perhaps one of you can help me. Thank you! emoly ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: emoly
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit code from piping in unix shell script

Hi , I have following code in my shell script : "$TS_BIN/tranfrmr" "${TS_SETTINGS}/tranfrmr_p1.stx" "${TS_LOGS}/tranfrmr_p1.err" | ( "$TS_BIN/cusparse" "${TS_SETTINGS}/cusparse_p2.stx" "${TS_LOGS}/cusparse_p2.err" | ( "$TS_BIN/tsqsort" "${TS_SETTINGS}/srtforpm_p3.stx"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
8 Replies
DACS.JAVA(7)						  DACS Miscellaneous Information					      DACS.JAVA(7)

NAME
dacs.java - DACS Java support DESCRIPTION
This document describes support for Java provided by DACS. To enable Java support, DACS must be configured using the --enable-java flag. It may also be necessary to specify the location of the Java commands and include files. See dacs.install(7)[1]. Note Java support is currently very limited and should be considered experimental. It is currently only possible to call dacsauth(1)[2] and dacscheck(1)[3] using the Java Native Interface (JNI) provided. The command line arguments to both of these commands are exactly as documented in their manual pages. Each argument is passed as a String. The code is not thread-safe and is probably not suitable for being called many times within a particular process due to assumptions it makes about dynamic memory allocation. There are no immediate plans to improve or extend Java support. Using the existing capability to build the JNI layer, however, it should not be difficult for an experienced Java programmer to build upon the example Java code provided. With Java support enabled, building DACS will copy the JNI shared library and a .jar file to the library directory (default: /usr/local/dacs/lib), and the JNI include files to the include directory (default: /usr/local/dacs/include). The tools/java/jni distribution directory contains a simple script called javarun that demonstrates how to run dacsauth or dacscheck as a Java application. For example, to validate the Unix password for user somebody, run (as root): ./javarun dacsauth -m unix suff -user somebody -prompt DIAGNOSTICS
The return codes are as documented in the command's manual page. AUTHOR
Distributed Systems Software (www.dss.ca[4]) COPYING
Copyright2003-2012 Distributed Systems Software. See the LICENSE[5] file that accompanies the distribution for licensing information. NOTES
1. dacs.install(7) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacs.install.7.html 2. dacsauth(1) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacsauth.1.html 3. dacscheck(1) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacscheck.1.html 4. www.dss.ca http://www.dss.ca 5. LICENSE http://dacs.dss.ca/man/../misc/LICENSE DACS 1.4.27b 10/22/2012 DACS.JAVA(7)