Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat SELinux Security Context-External Drive Post 302705777 by rsheikh01 on Tuesday 25th of September 2012 01:24:15 PM
Old 09-25-2012
Data SELinux Security Context-External Drive

I have an external drive (1 TB) attached via usb to a server running Red Hat Linux 6.2. During an application install one step requires perms set by root. Even though I could ls -l and see that root was able to do the 4755 but the install would fail. Someone pointed out the dot in the permission listing rwxr-xr--. for example and said SELinux security context does not allow perm change (sudo su - root) and the configuration fails.

I researched and used getenforce, sestatus and the results were "enforcing". I tried to change this temporarily by using setenforce 0 which changed it to permissive. However no success in the install, same issue.

I tried chcon --reference and also
Code:
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usd   (as root)
chcon: failed to change context of `/usd' to `system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t:s0': Operation not supported

I am not an admin. I searched here as well as google, but no go. There are only two threads that I found on this forum but both do not deal with an external drive.

Some extra details
---
Code:
[root@aiilnx64 ~]# getfacl /usd
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: usd
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x
---
ls -ldZ /usd
drwxr-xr-x. root root system_u:object_r:nfs_t:s0    /usd
---

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags

Any advice is deeply appreciated. Also, if you are in a good mood, could you suggest a poor man's SAN or storage that could be used without such problems.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 09-25-2012 at 05:20 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing directories of an external hard drive

How do I do it? I have a mac and a pc and am having a time cd-ing to the external drive. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theGooch
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External SCSI hard drive

Someone gave me a small external SCSI hard drive for my SunOS 5.8 test system. How do I make Unix see the hard drive? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
2 Replies

3. AIX

external DDS4 Tape Drive

Hi folks, I've got a little problem concerning my external dds4 tape drive. I've got 2 rs6000 systems, one has a external dds4 tape drive attached, I want to attach the tape drive to the other rs6000 system so that i can restore data from the 1st rs6000 on to the second. Does anybody has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partitioning External Drive

I am about to set up another triple boot drive, but this one is connected to my MacBook with a USB adapter. I want to be sure that I do not overwrite data on my laptop's internal drive. This is the command I used for the internal drive, which was found in an Ubuntu forum, but the sizes were changed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacInAction
0 Replies

5. Debian

Unable to mount external drive

Trying to mount an external 160GB Toshiba drive but.... this is my dmesg tail output: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3 usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=13fd, idProduct=1618 usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0 usb 2-2:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ridson
4 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Need some help with lost data on external drive

Hi all, I would really appreciate some assistance with some lost data on external drive. The external is a Seagate Goflex 3TB drive, Desktop hard drive | External Desktop hard drives | FreeAgent | GoFlex Desk | Seagate The purpose of the drive is to do time machine backups to it from my mac.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

Usb external drive

Hi Guys I am using RHEL5 O/S. We have mounted the usb external hard drive to the server as root. I want the user oracle to be able to write into this external hard drive. How do i do that ? Please Help!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to Install UNIX on an External Drive?

Hello, I'm running Windows 10, but I wish to install UNIX on an external drive and not my internal drive. Also, I'm not quite sure what UNIX to install? I also want to install the GNAT compiler so that I can also practice Ada programming. I will appreciate all help, CMN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CMN
2 Replies
seusers(5)						       SELinux configuration							seusers(5)

NAME
seusers - The SELinux GNU/Linux user to SELinux user mapping configuration file DESCRIPTION
The seusers file contains a list GNU/Linux user to SELinux user mapping for use by SELinux-aware login applications such as PAM(8). selinux_usersconf_path(3) will return the active policy path to this file. The default SELinux users mapping file is located at: /etc/selinux/{SELINUXTYPE}/seusers Where {SELINUXTYPE} is the entry from the selinux configuration file config (see selinux_config(5)). getseuserbyname(3) reads this file to map a GNU/Linux user or group to an SELinux user. FILE FORMAT
Each line of the seusers configuration file consists of the following: [%group_id]|[user_id]:seuser_id[:range] Where: group_id|user_id The GNU/Linux user id, or if preceded by the percentage (%) symbol, then a GNU/Linux group id. An optional entry set to __default__ can be provided as a fall back if required. seuser_id The SELinux user identity. range The optional level or range for an MLS/MCS policy. EXAMPLE
# ./seusers system_u:system_u:s0-s15:c0.c255 root:root:s0-s15:c0.c255 fred:user_u:s0 __default__:user_u:s0 %user_group:user_u:s0 SEE ALSO
selinux(8), PAM(8), selinux_usersconf_path(3), getseuserbyname(3), selinux_config(5) Security Enhanced Linux 28-Nov-2011 seusers(5)