Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help with IPC + thread
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with IPC + thread Post 302705195 by Corona688 on Monday 24th of September 2012 11:38:42 AM
Old 09-24-2012
Renaming, you can do this with the rename() library function in stdio. You could also use the link and unlink calls.

Copying and moving are done by simply opening and writing to files.

What do you wish to use IPC for here?
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ipc

I have a parent that is passing data to child A and then child A has to process it and pass to child B. I am able to pass the data to child A but am not able to pass it to child B. Child B seems to only be receiving the last data instead of the whole data. I saw one example in a book but it uses... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scmay
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to cancel a thread safely from the initial thread?

how about asynchronous canceling? or with signal? if with signal whether it effects the process? my english so badly :( :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alan.zhao
1 Replies

3. Solaris

errors on Netra-440: "IPC Warning: ipc: tcp_protocol: bad magic number"

I was asked to look into a problem with a Sun Netra 440 in another department. On the server in question, the relevant 'uname -a' information is, "SunOS host1 5.9 Generic_118558-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-440". That information aside, while the other admin is logged into the ALOM, these errors are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borealis
0 Replies

4. Programming

IPC Mechanisms

Hi! I wanted to know the advantages / disadvantages of different IPC mechanims such as sockets, pipes (unnamed) , shared memory & message queues. Pipes for example i hear are fast , but are difficult to debug as compared to sockets. Can you guys please name some situations where one is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: _korg
4 Replies

5. Programming

Best IPC mechanism to be used

Suppose I have 5 independent process divided in two imaginay sets: set1 set2 --------------------- p1 p3 | | p2 p4 | p5 The processes inside each set communicate mutually quite often. I mean p1 and p2 communicate mutually quite often Similarly p3, p4 and p5 communicate mutually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies
REMOVE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 REMOVE(3)

NAME
remove - remove a file or directory SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int remove(const char *pathname); DESCRIPTION
remove() deletes a name from the file system. It calls unlink(2) for files, and rmdir(2) for directories. If the removed name was the last link to a file and no processes have the file open, the file is deleted and the space it was using is made available for reuse. If the name was the last link to a file, but any processes still have the file open, the file will remain in existence until the last file descriptor referring to it is closed. If the name referred to a symbolic link, the link is removed. If the name referred to a socket, FIFO, or device, the name is removed, but processes which have the object open may continue to use it. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
The errors that occur are those for unlink(2) and rmdir(2). CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Under libc4 and libc5, remove() was an alias for unlink(2) (and hence would not remove directories). BUGS
Infelicities in the protocol underlying NFS can cause the unexpected disappearance of files which are still being used. SEE ALSO
rm(1), unlink(1), link(2), mknod(2), open(2), rename(2), rmdir(2), unlink(2), mkfifo(3), symlink(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2008-12-03 REMOVE(3)