Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX real time audit log writing Post 302704325 by vbe on Friday 21st of September 2012 11:21:38 AM
Old 09-21-2012
So I think what I did in your first post seems to be correct...
Now I dont have an system is audsys turned on only traces on a old 10.20...
I suggest you look line by line what I did above:
If I try the
Code:
print $CURRENT | cut -c 23

on my system it returns nothing:
Code:
aph:/.secure/etc $ print $CURRENT | cut -c -23
/.secure/etc/audfile1
aph:/.secure/etc $ print $CURRENT | cut -c 23 

aph:/.secure/etc $ print $CURRENT | cut -c 21

So what does :
Code:
CURRENT=$(/usr/bin/audsys | grep "current file" | head -n 1 | cut -c 15-) ;echo $CURRENT

produce on your server?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log users real time

hi.... how i can configurator a log file on real time....on unix solaris.... thanks a lot.... Best Regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanfle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Real time log file redirect

Hi all, i would like to write the shell script program, it can monitor the access_log "real time" when the access_log writing the line contain "abcdef" the program will be "COPY" this line into a file named "abcdef.txt", do the same thing if the contain "123456" "COPY" it into a file named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl or Shell script to read a transaction log in real time

Hello, I have a Apache webserver running on RedHat. Its primary function is a proxy server for users accessing the internet. I have a transaction log that logs every transactions of every users. For users trying to access certain sites/content the transactions goes into a 302 redirect loop and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruno406
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to replicate the log files from one location to another in real time

Hi, On the server, we have app log files in this location /app/logs/error.log On the same server, in a real time, we would like to replicate that into /var/ directory. if someone has already done this, please share the script. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] How to see log in real time?

Hi people I have a bash script with a line like this: python example.py >> log & But i can't see anything in the log file while python program is running only if the program ends seems to write the log file. "$ cat log" for example don't show anything until the program ends. Is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tieso
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving or removing few data from log file in real time

Hi, I have a log file that gets updated every second. Currently the size has grown to 20+ GB. I need to have a command/script, that will try to get the actual size of the file and will remove 50% of the data that are in the log file. I don't mind removing the data as the size has grown to huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik Patra
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read a fast written log file at Real time speed?

Hello All, I am building a real time parser for a log file in my application. The log file is continuously written at a very fast pace and gets rolled over every 10 minutes. I have measured the speed and observed that around 1000 lines are written to it every second, each line about 30-40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file...] cut -c list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like <TAB> (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (use- ful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2: Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.10 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)