Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo two variables like the paste command is not working Post 302704271 by cabrao on Friday 21st of September 2012 10:08:44 AM
Old 09-21-2012
Code:
$ paste file1 file2
A B     1,2
C D     3,4
E F     5,6

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command paste with variables

Hi. I have an interesting problem and i couldn't find out the solution. I have two variables in which there are a lot of lines finished by \n. I would like to concatenate this two variables into one in this format: var1var2 var1var2 . . . I could do this simply by command paste but it works... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: samos
32 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo working funny

Hello, this is my first post and question. I have search before for this problem but didn't find anything similar. My case: I have a string inside the variable string1 like this: string1="lala lele lili lolo lulu" When I do echo of it, it appears like this: echo $string1 lala lele lili... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemtar
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo Variables and Text

I've been trying to get the syntax right so I can echo a $var and then text around it or after it. It either wont display text or $var or one overwrites the other at the beginning of the line. Trying to do something like this. var=1 echo $var"+1.1" #output expected 1+1.1 Its an older... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting variables from echo

Hello all. I can not remember the command to extract a variable from the date command. Basically what I need to do is to store the values of date in variable and rearrange them. I can not remember the command or the syntax to do so. so.. date Mon Mar 8 06:57:19 GMT 2010 $1 $2 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo is not working as expected

for i in `cat /export/home/afahmed/Arrvial_time.txt` do echo $i echo $i | awk '$3 < $D { print $4 }' >> dynamic_DF.txt; done When i echo, its echo as Nov 15 02:24 /export/home/pp_adm/inbound//wwallet_20111115.txt where i expect it to be Nov 15 02:24... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afahmed
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-how to properly READ and PASTE variables.

Recently i made a script for a project at molecular dynamics but am stuck at the last step.The thing i want to do is to ask the user to input the number of particles, then replace the bolded numbers at lines 9 and 17.. code #!/bin/bash #read number of particles echo "insert the number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arisinhell
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste command not working in shell script

Hai , When i use paste command in command prompt its giving expected output but not in the script. Below is the example. $cat file 1 2 3 $cat file1 4 5 6 $paste -d ':' file file1 1:4 2:5 3:6 but when i used the same command in script its giving the output as below : 1 2 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbu123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with paste command using variables

How can I accomplish this? I basically want to merge two variables onto the same line. I can do it with two FILES this way: $ cat /tmp/users_in.list | awk -F "," '{print $2}' | cut -c -1 > first.initial $ awk -F "," '{print $1}' /tmp/users_in.list | awk '{print $1}' > last.name $ paste... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenlightening
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo not working with $

$cat FILE.txt $PATH1/file1.txt $PATH2/file2.txt where$PATH 1 = /root/FILE_DR/file1.txt $PATH 2 = /root/FILE_DR/file2.txt for I in `cat FILE.txt` do v=`echo $I` echo $v if then rm $v (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekharvi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo command not working in the script

HI I have and echo command which works perfectly in the shell but when i execute in the script it gives me an error code query is as below QUERY=`echo "Select Severity,Dupl_count,Creation_Time,Last_Received,Node_Name,Node_Name,Object,Message_Group,Message_Text,Last_Annotation from " \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -exEX3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 The -E and -X are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (i.e., changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by "<<<<<<" and ">>>>>>" lines. For example, suppose lines 7-8 are changed in both file1 and file2. Applying the edit script generated by the command "diff3 -E file1 file2 file3" to file1 results in the file: lines 1-6 of file1 <<<<<<< file1 lines 7-8 of file1 ======= lines 7-8 of file3 >>>>>>> file3 rest of file1 The -E option is used by RCS merge(1) to insure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's atten- tion. FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/libexec/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 DIFF3(1)