Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xargs expr ...+
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xargs expr ...+ Post 302704237 by alister on Friday 21st of September 2012 09:25:44 AM
Old 09-21-2012
When a pipeline's output is just a single value, there's usually no need or benefit in using xargs. A simple command substitution will do.

I said "usually" above because xargs treats quotes specially and that could be useful in some scenarios (though not this one, which only produces numeric strings).

Code:
expr $(ls -l | wc -l) - 3

Why you're using ls' long format just to count lines is puzzling, but not germane to my point.

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 09-21-2012 at 10:35 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr

Hello! I want to evaluate some mathematical expressions in a script and I try to use 'expr' command. Unfortunatally, when I have, for example, expr 8.2 + 6 the result is 'expr: non-numeric argument' Why ? I work on SunOs 5.7. Thanks in advance Nathe (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nathe
5 Replies

2. Red Hat

how to use expr

i am new to shell programming, currently using redhat linux of version 2.4.20-8. i have problem in executing expr command in the following shell script $ x=5 $ x='expr $x + 1' $ echo $x the output is displaying always expr $x + 1 Pls guide me for the above query (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikumarm80
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

test expr VS [ expr ]

What is the difference between test expr VS . For example : if test 5 -eq 6 echo "Wrong" and if echo "Wrong" bot will give the same output as Wrong. Now, what is the difference between these two? though they are producing the same result why we need two? Any answer will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr not working

I am trying to get some coubt through the following code. tot_ln_cnt=`wc -l ${OUTPUT_FILE_NAME}` echo "tot_ln_cnt : "$tot_ln_cnt fl_cnt=`ls -lrt *edi | wc -l` echo "fl_cnt : "$fl_cnt exclude_cnt=`expr $fl_cnt \* 2` echo "exclude_cnt : "$exclude_cnt ln_cnt=`expr $tot_ln_cnt - $exclude_cnt`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr not working

I have written below script which monitors a log file and if log file is not writting for 2 intervels then admin should be notified. ================ sh=`date | awk '{print $4}' | cut -d ":" -f1` sm=`date | awk '{print $4}' | cut -d ":" -f2` lh=`ls -l /opt/Heartbeat.log | awk '{print $8}' |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paventhan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

the expr \*

$ cat > mtable #!/bin/sh # #Script to test for loop # # if then echo "Error - Number missing form command line argument" echo "Syntax : $0 number" echo "Use to print multiplication table for given number" exit 1 fi n=$1 for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do echo "$n * $i = `expr $i \*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackel7777
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr ?!

Hey there i want to subtract the content from $b from $a. Each variable has got 18 values (normal numbers from 0 - 99). How can i subtract them? I know i have to use the expr command, this is what i have till now: a=`cat Tabelle.dat | awk {'print $4'} | awk -F: {'print $1'}` b=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mad van Bert
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with expr - "expr: syntax error"

Hi All, I'm writing a shell script in KSH, where I want to store the filename, total record count and actual record count of all the source files. The source files reside in 4 different sub-folders under the same root folder. Below is code: #!/usr/bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If + expr

Hi I have bellow script: t1=`cat node1.txt | grep thread1 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t2=`cat node2.txt | grep thread2 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t3=`cat node1_rcat.txt | grep thread1 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t4=`cat node2_rcat.txt | grep thread2 | cut -f2 -d '-'` if ]; then echo "no restore" >> log.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nn$( expr $n + 1)

HI there I am trying to understand Shell scripting to create my own, I am attempting a few examples can anyone tell me what this means?n=$( expr $n + 1)Tried looking on the internet, but just cannot find its anywhere :( .Help please (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2015
4 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)