Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SOLVED] Pull lines older than N weeks Post 302703991 by Corona688 on Thursday 20th of September 2012 05:39:14 PM
Old 09-20-2012
You do not have date -d on AIX so that's not going to work. That's a GNU date thing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check whether the given file is 5 weeks older than current date

HI, I need to check whether the given file is 5 weeks older than current date ?? Can anyone give me the script for this ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete the files older than 3 weeks in a particular directory.

Hi, Friends, I am writing a script to delete all the files which are there for more than 3 weeks. I have tried this : find /home/appl/backup -type f -mtime +21 -exec rm -f {} \; But i am not sure if it deletes only the files in specified directory or all the directorinies in the provieded... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you use pull data from multiple lines to do a for statement?

Guys I am having a problem with being able to find missing monitors in a configuration check script I am trying to create for accountability purposes for managing a large number of systems. What I am trying to do is run a script that will look at the raw config data in a file and pull all the pool... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottzx7rr
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pull specific lines from long file based on formula

For people who want to pull a number of lines from a long file using a specific formula n (number of iterations in a loop) a (offset number) b (stretch factor) example with n {1..100} for (( n=1; n<101; n++ )); do awk -v n=$n 'NR==a+(b*n)' a=0 b=1 inputfile >>outputfile (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgruenwald
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Remove file older than 90 days

I have crontab job a tar file to a directory ( tar -cvf /tmp/backup/or.`date +%m%d%y`. /ora/db/* ) , it will do it every day . Now I don't want to keep too much files , I just want to keep the file for 90 days , can advise if I want to remove the backup file which are elder than 90 days , can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust3
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pull out multiple lines with grep patternfile

Hi, I'm trying to get lines from a file using identifiers in the first two columns. I have used: cat MasterFile.txt | grep -f Pattern.txt and the lines I want display on screen. If I try to put them in a file the file is created but stays empty: cat MasterFile.txt | grep -f Pattern.txt... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: FGPonce
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move log files with date and delete older than 3 weeks

I have written a script which generate one logfile on every sunday and thursday I want to move the older log files into /tmp directory befor generating new one so i used mv command like mv usr/sbin/appl/logfile.txt usr/sbin/appl/tmp 2) But when i move this file to /tmp it will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Delete files older than 10 years

I need a command which delete files older than 10 years. I got a command for 90 days and all commands I find are for days and nothing for years. find file_name -mtime +90 -exec rm {} \; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How can I pull specific information from PS?

I need to grab information from the output of the ps command. For each line of ps output that contains _progres -b I need to get the word that follows -p. The "-p" can be anywhere after "_progres -b". Using grep to select the correct lines is no problem (e.g. ps -ef|grep "_progres \-b|grep -v... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Papa Lee
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List 2 weeks older file on specific directory

Ive been a vocal of FIND command even before. Command below doesnt really give me the file that is older than two weeks.. Is there a script that will list me the log files that i want like for this date December 10, 2014, it shud list me the date between November 26, 2014 and below. When i run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
6 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -acefmnbwr ] file1 ... file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If one file is a directory, then a file in that directory with basename the same as that of the other file is used. If both files are directories, similarly named files in the two directories are compared by the method of diff for text files and cmp(1) otherwise. If more than two file names are given, then each argument is compared to the last argument as above. The -r option causes diff to process similarly named subdirectories recursively. When processing more than one file, diff prefixes file differences with a single line listing the two differing files, in the form of a diff command line. The -m flag causes this behavior even when processing single files. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -w option causes all white-space to be removed from input lines before applying the difference algorithm. The -n option prefixes each range with file: and inserts a space around the a, c, and d verbs. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. It may, however, be useful as input to a stream-oriented post-processor. The -c option includes three lines of context around each change, merging changes whose contexts overlap. The -a flag displays the entire file as context. Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. FILES
/tmp/diff[12] SOURCE
/src/cmd/diff SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is the empty string for no differences, for some, and for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. When running diff on directories, the notion of what is a text file is open to debate. DIFF(1)