Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remount .img as rw and repack Post 302703901 by mirni on Thursday 20th of September 2012 01:57:09 PM
Old 09-20-2012
What did you try to achieve with this line?
Code:
user=$user

I'd bet $user is not set. You probably want to do any of these equivalent ways to get the current user:
Code:
chown -R $USER extracted
chown -R $(whoami) extracted
chown -R $(id -un) extracted

This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

getting img url

hey, i just found this forum...how cool. question: does anybody know code or know where i can get the code to get a certain image URL from user? say user input URL from shell prompt when run the program. What is the code to take that URL open internet and download the image. thanks alot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb00y
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.DSK to .IMG ?

Hi, I have a windows emulator that I am wanting to try out, but my Windows 3.1 files are split up over 6 .DSK images, and I need to convert them to an .IMG that I can actually mount on my system (so that the emulator can see it). Is there a way to do this? thanks. -patrick (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
0 Replies

3. Solaris

remount not working

HI All, I am trying to remount a file system using teh remount option as belwo; gws210i122: mount -o remount /tmp mount: Operation not supported But i am getting the error as mentioned. Please suggest. Regards, Sag. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Read/View .img files from SunOs 5.8

We use imaging software from a cardiology clinic on SunOS 5.8 and I want to be able to see these image files (.img extension) on Windows XP. Can this be done? If so, with what software (on Windows XP)? On Windows XP, I've used software like Ulead PhotoImpact and Corel PhotoPaint but I've had no... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyes27
16 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fedora installation getting stuck in initrd.img

I have a 80GB hard disk with WinXP already installed.I had tried installing Fedora 10 earlier without creating new partitions(real foolish and ignorant of me :o:o ) and tried creating partitions using Fedora10 bootable.It didnt work.Then I created a free partition and again tried installing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh.k28
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remount filesystem

Hi all, i don't know why, but a filesystem of my server is in read only ( / ). I try to do a "mount -o remount / " but it answer me: mount: block device /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is write-protected, mounting read-only Do you know why? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.IMG file help!!!

I've been trying to create an IMG file for the past week with no success. I've tried using: dd if=/dev/zero of=myimage.img bs=512 count=2880 mke2fs myimage.img mkdir /media/mount_point mount -o loop myimage.img /media/mount_point cp -aR <file> /media/mount_point umount /media/mount_point ... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: neur0n
30 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Could I get the initrd.img file without recompile the kernel?

Hi, all: The vmlinuz-3.0.4.old is a kernel previous to the current running kernel vmlinuz-3.0.4 which is compiled the most currently. Could I get the initrd.img-3.0.4.old without recompile under the condition that the config-3.0.4.old, System.map-3.0.4.old and vmlinuz-3.0.4.old exist? if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liklstar
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Os not coming up after i set mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda8

on RHEL 5.3 i did mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda8 ( this is /tmp directory ) now OS not coming up. How to resolve ?? ---------- Post updated at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:36 PM ---------- one of my friend told me that you have changed sticky bit permissions on /tmp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
6 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fhv] owner[:group] file ... chown [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fhv] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
chown sets the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. The options are as follows: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f Don't report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -h If file is a symbolic link, the owner and/or group of the link is changed. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The -L option cannot be used together with the -h option. The owner and group operands are both optional, however, one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be preceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a user name or a numeric user ID. The group may be either a group name or a numeric group ID. Since it is valid to have a user or group name that is numeric (and doesn't have the numeric ID that matches its name) the name lookup is always done first. Pre- ceding an ID with a ``#'' character will force it to be taken as a number. The ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user for obvious security reasons. Unless invoked by the super-user, chown clears the set-user-id and set-group-id bits on a file to prevent accidental or mischievous creation of set-user-id and set-group-id programs. The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. SEE ALSO
chflags(1), chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), lchown(2), fts(3), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown command is expected to be POSIX 1003.2 compliant. The -v option and the use of ``#'' to force a numeric lookup are extensions to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
December 9, 2005 BSD