Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple cat and echo question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple cat and echo question Post 302703899 by nelmo on Thursday 20th of September 2012 01:52:35 PM
Old 09-20-2012
Thanks guys

('dangerous use of backticks' - like the description Smilie)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple 'echo' question

Hi, I would like to output the identical line to 2 text files, ie output='blah' echo $output > test1.txt echo $output > test2.txt Is there a way I could do that output with ONE command, ie output='blah' echo $output > test1.txt & test2.txt (I know that doesn't work) Thanks for any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with IF - CAT - GREP in simple shell script

Hi all, Here is my requirement I have to search 'ORA' word in out.log file,if it is present then i need to send that file (out.log) content to some mail id.If 'ORA' word is not in that file then i need to send 'load succesful' message to some mail id. The below the shell script is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mak_boop
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple for loop/cat issue

ok.. so problem is: I have a file that reads: cat 123 1 and 2 3 and 4 5 and 6 I was using for loops to run through this information. Code: for i in `cat 123` do echo $i done shouldn't the output come as 1 and 2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: foal_11
3 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Question about cat and echo

Hello, I am trying to send text to a USB to serial adaptor and then to an external speech synthesizer. I tried using the cat and echo commands with no luck. I have gotten some audio output from my synthesizer using Kermit a terminal emulator, so I am pretty sure my synthesizer and my USB to serial... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesapp
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Simple" echo/reading variable question...

Hello, I have a simple(I think) question! Although simple, I have been unable to resolve it, so I hope someone can help! OK, here it is: 1)I have an awk script that prints something, such as: awk '{print $2}' a > x so x might hold the value of say '10' 2)Now, I just want to check to see if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple echo problem

Hey all! I'm in an intro to UNIX class at university, and we've just began writing scripts. Naturally I can't get it to do what I want. Basic script as follows: COMPARE1=`ls|wc -l` tar czf archive.tgz ~/path/to/file COMPARE2=`tar tvzf archive.tgz|wc -l` if then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickzourdos
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need simple echo question

Hi I want to use echo command as below echo 'dir=' $1 ' dir|file|home' i need output like below : echo 'dir=' $1 ' dir|file|home' pp13dff Output dir=pp13dff dir|file|home (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo with cat command

Hi, I need to send an email in the below format: Hi All, body description on 12-Dec-2014 <a html table, which is there in Result.txt file> I am using the below command { echo "Hi All," echo "body description on $var_date " } | ( cat Result.txt ) | /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
1 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitBacktickOperaUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitBacktickOperators(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitBacktickOperators - Discourage stuff like "@files = `ls $directory`". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Backticks are super-convenient, especially for CGI programs, but I find that they make a lot of noise by filling up STDERR with messages when they fail. I think its better to use IPC::Open3 to trap all the output and let the application decide what to do with it. use IPC::Open3 'open3'; $SIG{CHLD} = 'IGNORE'; @output = `some_command`; #not ok my ($writer, $reader, $err); open3($writer, $reader, $err, 'some_command'); #ok; @output = <$reader>; #Output here @errors = <$err>; #Errors here, instead of the console CONFIGURATION
Alternatively, if you do want to use backticks, you can restrict checks to void contexts by adding the following to your .perlcriticrc file: [InputOutput::ProhibitBacktickOperators] only_in_void_context = 1 The purpose of backticks is to capture the output of an external command. Use of them in a void context is likely a bug. If the output isn't actually required, "system()" should be used. Otherwise assign the result to a variable. `some_command`; #not ok $output = `some_command`; #ok @output = `some_command`; #ok NOTES
This policy also prohibits the generalized form of backticks seen as "qx{}". See perlipc for more discussion on using "wait()" instead of "$SIG{CHLD} = 'IGNORE'". You might consider using the "capture()" function from the IPC::System::Simple module for a safer way of doing what backticks do, especially on Windows. The module also has a safe wrapper around "system()". AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitBacktickOperators(3)