Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple cat and echo question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple cat and echo question Post 302703871 by nelmo on Thursday 20th of September 2012 01:11:33 PM
Old 09-20-2012
Simple cat and echo question

Apologies, probably a really simple problem:

I've got a text file (nh.txt) with this in it:

Code:
    user1 email1 email2
    user2 email1 email2
    etc

With the following basic script:

Code:
    for tline in $(cat nh.txt)
    do
        echo "**********"
        echo $tline
    done

I get this output:

user1

email1

email2

user2

email1

email2

etc.

ie. the 'cat' command seems to be supplying one field at a time, rather than the whole line - is that right?

What do I do to get the whole line at one go?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple 'echo' question

Hi, I would like to output the identical line to 2 text files, ie output='blah' echo $output > test1.txt echo $output > test2.txt Is there a way I could do that output with ONE command, ie output='blah' echo $output > test1.txt & test2.txt (I know that doesn't work) Thanks for any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with IF - CAT - GREP in simple shell script

Hi all, Here is my requirement I have to search 'ORA' word in out.log file,if it is present then i need to send that file (out.log) content to some mail id.If 'ORA' word is not in that file then i need to send 'load succesful' message to some mail id. The below the shell script is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mak_boop
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple for loop/cat issue

ok.. so problem is: I have a file that reads: cat 123 1 and 2 3 and 4 5 and 6 I was using for loops to run through this information. Code: for i in `cat 123` do echo $i done shouldn't the output come as 1 and 2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: foal_11
3 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Question about cat and echo

Hello, I am trying to send text to a USB to serial adaptor and then to an external speech synthesizer. I tried using the cat and echo commands with no luck. I have gotten some audio output from my synthesizer using Kermit a terminal emulator, so I am pretty sure my synthesizer and my USB to serial... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesapp
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Simple" echo/reading variable question...

Hello, I have a simple(I think) question! Although simple, I have been unable to resolve it, so I hope someone can help! OK, here it is: 1)I have an awk script that prints something, such as: awk '{print $2}' a > x so x might hold the value of say '10' 2)Now, I just want to check to see if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple echo problem

Hey all! I'm in an intro to UNIX class at university, and we've just began writing scripts. Naturally I can't get it to do what I want. Basic script as follows: COMPARE1=`ls|wc -l` tar czf archive.tgz ~/path/to/file COMPARE2=`tar tvzf archive.tgz|wc -l` if then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickzourdos
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need simple echo question

Hi I want to use echo command as below echo 'dir=' $1 ' dir|file|home' i need output like below : echo 'dir=' $1 ' dir|file|home' pp13dff Output dir=pp13dff dir|file|home (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo with cat command

Hi, I need to send an email in the below format: Hi All, body description on 12-Dec-2014 <a html table, which is there in Result.txt file> I am using the below command { echo "Hi All," echo "body description on $var_date " } | ( cat Result.txt ) | /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
1 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)