Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use a shell variable in where clause Post 302703801 by elixir_sinari on Thursday 20th of September 2012 11:33:14 AM
Old 09-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
You are right - not in SQLPLUS. In the here-document, which is interpreted by the shell, though ....

bakunin
1) Single-quotes won't prevent variable expansion/evaluation in the here-doc. It's like using single quotes within double-quotes:
Code:
$ name='ELIXIR'

$ while read i
> do
>  echo $i
> done <<END
> FIRST LINE
> a='$name'
> BYE
> END
FIRST LINE
a='ELIXIR'
BYE

2) One can prevent the shell from interpreting the here-doc content by quoting/escaping the label (whole label or a single character):
Code:
$ echo $name
ELIXIR
$ while read i
> do
>  echo $i
> done <<\END
> FIRST
> a='$name'
> BYE
> END
FIRST
a='$name'
BYE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

building a SET clause in shell script

Hi, I have a comma delimited string, e.g. empno, ename, sal. Using Korn Shell Script I want to build the SET clause for an UPDATE statement, and set clause should look like this: empno=decode(:empno, '?', empno, :empno), ename=decode(:ename, '?', empno, :ename), sal=decode(:sal, '?',... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shalua
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if clause

hi, pls could you help me with one program in KSH ( i have sunOS). I need to create an If clause, that prints an error message and filenames, when in a directory are found some files of null size (find . -type f -size 0 ). thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-Shell: If-Clause to check if file is empty

Hello, I want to checkl whether my file has text in it or not. if ; then ... if ; then ... But none of these work Can someone help me? ---------- Post updated at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:55 AM ---------- The code-tags caused an displayerror,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

clause for setting a variable to $1 if it exists

Hi all, What is the simplest way to setting a variable to $1 if it exists ? If I go with name=${"$1":-abc}, bash complains "bad substitution", So I use name="$1" name=${name:-abc} But is there a way to fix this "bad substitution" ? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check a variable value through if clause

Hi guys, I am trying to check the values i have for two variables. if && ; then echo "Success"; fi Now Test1 can have any Alpha Variable and Count is a integer value. Even though we have given 'and' Condition, even one condition is sucess, i am getting the Success message. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating & executing the SELECT and UPDATE clause dynamically using shell script

Hi All, I need to write one shell script. The requirement is as follows. a) I am having list the employee names in a file stored in /tmp directory location as below /tmp/emp.txt b) and the contents are as below cat emp.txt ravi raj ram arun c) I need to connect to sybase... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gowtham_giri
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
GET_MAGIC_QUOTES_GPC(3) 						 1						   GET_MAGIC_QUOTES_GPC(3)

get_magic_quotes_gpc - Gets the current configuration setting of magic_quotes_gpc

SYNOPSIS
bool get_magic_quotes_gpc (void ) DESCRIPTION
Returns the current configuration setting of magic_quotes_gpc Keep in mind that attempting to set magic_quotes_gpc at runtime will not work. For more information about magic_quotes, see this security section. RETURN VALUES
Returns 0 if magic_quotes_gpc is off, 1 otherwise. Or always returns FALSE as of PHP 5.4.0. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | Always returns FALSE because the magic quotes | | | feature was removed from PHP. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 get_magic_quotes_gpc(3) example <?php // If magic quotes are enabled echo $_POST['lastname']; // O'reilly echo addslashes($_POST['lastname']); // O\'reilly // Usage across all PHP versions if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) { $lastname = stripslashes($_POST['lastname']); } else { $lastname = $_POST['lastname']; } // If using MySQL $lastname = mysql_real_escape_string($lastname); echo $lastname; // O'reilly $sql = "INSERT INTO lastnames (lastname) VALUES ('$lastname')"; ?> NOTES
Note If the directive magic_quotes_sybase is ON it will completely override magic_quotes_gpc. So even when get_magic_quotes_gpc(3) returns TRUE neither double quotes, backslashes or NUL's will be escaped. Only single quotes will be escaped. In this case they'll look like: '' SEE ALSO
addslashes(3), stripslashes(3), get_magic_quotes_runtime(3), ini_get(3). PHP Documentation Group GET_MAGIC_QUOTES_GPC(3)