Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Netstat -i notification
Operating Systems Linux Netstat -i notification Post 302703769 by sohk220 on Thursday 20th of September 2012 11:08:52 AM
Old 09-20-2012
Netstat -i notification

I'm a bit new to scripting, but have been working on some scripts. I create a script to monitor the network interface for netstat -i, but not sure if I am getting what I need...I'd like to grab the entire column for RX-DRP and inform me of which interface is giving the RX-DRP errors...here is a sample of my script.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Check previous netstat output against current netstat output to determine
# if there are packet receive errors.  We have to do this because the counters
# are only cleared when the server is rebooted.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW=`date`
echo "$NOW"
emailaddress=emailadr@yoursite.com
logfile=/tmp/1.out

ARGCOUNT=1

if [ $# -ne "$ARGCOUNT" ]
then
  echo "Usage: `basename $0` <$email-address>"
  exit 1
fi

#Check if previous Netstat -i output file exist

if [ -s $logfile ]
then

OLDNETSTAT=`netstat -i | awk "{print $6}"  | cut -f 15,19,20 -d ' '`
    netstat -i |grep "RX-DRP" | awk "{print $6}" > $logfile  #take a new netstat snapshot
    NOWNETSTAT=`netstat -i | awk "{print $6}"  | cut -f 15,19,20 -d ' '`

echo "OLDNETSTAT=$OLDNETSTAT"
    echo "NOWNETSTAT=$NOWNETSTAT"

if [ $OLDNETSTAT -lt $NOWNETSTAT ]
    then
        NUMDROPS=$(( NOWNETSTAT - OLDNETSTAT ))
        servername=`hostname -s`
        MYMESSAGE="WARNING: netstat -i: $NUMDROPS new "RX-DRP" error(s) on $servername"
        mail -s "$MYMESSAGE" $1 < /dev/null
    fi

else
   echo "Running command: netstat -i | awk "{print $6}"  | cut -f 15,19,20 -d ' ' > $logfile"

netstat -i | awk "{print $6}"  | cut -f 15,19,20 -d ' ' > $logfile
fi

any help would be great...

Thanks,
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-20-2012 at 12:15 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Netstat

Giving netstat command on the prompt gives commands such as localhost.43592 localhost.35237 32768 0 32768 0 TIME_WAIT localhost.43594 localhost.43595 32768 0 32768 0 TIME_WAIT localhost.43598 localhost.35237 32768 0 32768 0 TIME_WAIT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

netstat

Hi what is the command to see the process name/application name along with the port number, connection status ... netstat is not giving process/application name Is there any way to know which application is holding which port? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netstat not working

Hello, One of the solaris machine in our network is giving an error when the netstat command is executed. soloman:/home/db2admin->netstat ip open: Permission denied can't open mib stream: Bad file number But it works with root. I couldnt' get any useful info during my search in google. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_pranava
2 Replies

4. AIX

netstat -anp

Hi Which options can I use to show program with its open ports on AIX?. Just like netstat on linux does: netstat -anp|grep 25 tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2112/sendmail: acce Thanks Time to start using code tags. Check your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

5. Solaris

netstat -- what am i looking at?

Greetings to all, Here is a line of output from my netstat command cbp031.904 wdcprodhome.nfsd 98304 0 49640 0 ESTABLISHED The only thing i recognize is the unix machine "cbp031" but what is .904 and all the other data telling me? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with netstat

Hi, I want to list the time for how long a secure connections last to my server/blade. i am using netstat command to get the same, but not sure how to get the time for how long connections is being ESTABLISHED. netstat -na | grep 'ESTABLISHED' | grep :443 |awk '{print $4}' | cut -d: -f1 |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with a netstat command

Do I have this command correct to show all current connections/sessions my Solaris box has? It does not seem to do anything. netstat -an | grep EST (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

netstat

Hi Can any body tell me about TIME_WAIT status meaning in the following command output. # netstat -anp|grep 5000 tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:50006 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5058/ccsd tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50008 0.0.0.0:* ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
3 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

netstat

When running netstat -i from the Command Terminal, It returns with 21 different connections.. The addresses all look like this: ::1 fe80:1::1 10:dd:b1:a5:c4:ba with Network names like Linke#2 fe80::8e2d How can I delve deeper into this to clarify what is going on with my network?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwfiedler
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

netstat output

Hi Team, Below is the output of netstat -an | grep 1533 tcp 0 0 17.18.18.12:583 10.3.2.0:1533 ESTABLISHED tcp 0 0 17.18.18.12:370 10.3.2.0:1533 ESTABLISHED Below is the o/p of netstat -a | grep server_name tcp 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
4 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script, service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)