Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: auto kill script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting auto kill script Post 302703627 by bakunin on Thursday 20th of September 2012 05:35:12 AM
Old 09-20-2012
If you have one of the common login shells (ksh or bash) you can use the "TMOUT" environment variable.

Have a look at the man page for details.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto Alias Script

Hi All, as you can guess, I'm a newb here, and to shell scripting. I use Linux(CentOS) at home and want to get into scritping. I was creating some aliases on a Laptop the other day, and thought, god this is tedious, and then I thought, heck, why not use it as a 1st script project. Please see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboarderguy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script to Auto Run PHP Script

Hello All! I am looking to build a monitoring script. The script should always run as a system service of some type and should always check that a PHP script is running. Maybe there is a way to assign a PHP script to a certain PID so that the monitor script that check for the PID in top... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elDeuce
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

auto login script

can any one help me for auto login bat file from windows to unix,to check the server daily.. Thanks Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohankasi
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Script to auto restart a service

Hi All, May i please know if it is possible to write a script to check the log messages and automatically restart a service if it is failed or it is stopped. Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance. regards, Eajaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajazshariff
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redhat 5 enterprise auto kill script

hi all do i need to add rc. prefix on the stop script all the time especially on redhat 5 enterprise? like below ln -s /etc/init.d/rc.stopdb2 /etc/rc0.d/K01rc.stopdb2 and on the /etc/rc.local, i need to add this only touch /var/lock/subsys/stopdb2 Is that going to work? thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto restart script does not work

I have a service that are not 100% stable and stops from time to time. So I have a script that do restart the service if it does not run. This script works win on Ubuntu 9.04 but will not start the service in Ubuntu 10.10 If I run the part that do starts the service from CLI, it starts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to provide auto inputs for a sub-script within a script?

Hi All, I am writing a shell script. #!/bin/bash cat /etc/hosts mkdir -p /var/tmp mount 113.123.35.37:/vol/vol615/syb /var/tmp In above script I am trying to add below predefined script/command (/var/tmp/db_tools) This command in turn ask for user input, which will be always option... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhur.baharani
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto-backup script

hello guys i need a script to automatically backup a whole directory in linux like /var/www and the whole sql db and upload to an ftp server daily (as a cron job) is there something like this? I read about rsync but I don't know if it will suit this. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: galapagos8000
6 Replies
time(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   time(1)

Name
       time - time a command

Syntax
       time command
       /bin/time command

Description
       The  command  lets  the specified command execute and then outputs the amount of elapsed real time, the time spent in the operating system,
       and the time spent in execution of the command.	Times are reported in seconds and are written to standard error.

If you are using any shell except the C shell, you can give the command as shown on the first line of the Syntax section.  If you are using
       the  C shell, you must use the command's full pathname as shown on the second line of the Syntax section.  If you do not use the full path-
       name, will execute its own built-in command that supplies additional information and uses a different output format.

The command can be used to cause a command to be timed no matter how much CPU time it takes.  For example:
       % /bin/time cp /etc/rc /usr/bill/rc
	       0.1 real 	0.0 user	 0.0 sys
       % /bin/time nroff sample1 > sample1.nroff
	       3.6 real 	2.4 user	 1.2 sys
       This example indicates that the command used negligible amounts of user and system time and had an elapsed time of 1/10 second (0.1).   The
       command used 2.4 seconds of user time and 1.2 seconds of system time, and required 3.6 seconds of elapsed time.

Restrictions
       Times are measured to an accuracy of 1/10 second.  Thus, the sum of the user and system times can be larger than the elapsed time.

See Also
       csh(1)

time(1)