Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing a variable to kill command Post 302701891 by Corona688 on Monday 17th of September 2012 12:42:44 PM
Old 09-17-2012
Whenever you have cut | grep | awk | sed | grep -v | kitchen | sink, you should replace that with awk. It can do it all at once, it's not a glorified cut.

Code:
ps -ef | awk '/[a]pache/ { print $2 }' | xargs kill

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the command line argument in a variable

Hi, I am new to unix. Is their a way to pass the output of the line below to a variable var1. ls -1t | head -1. I am trying something like var1=ls -1t | head -1, but I get error. Situation is: I get file everyday through FTP in my unix box. I have to write a script that picks up first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable in SED getting command garbled

I fairly new to SED. I have tried many different variations of this line of code and even breaking it down into its components and running them separately. They work individually without variables but when I place the $todbname variable it will either inserts the text "connect to $todbname"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edewerth
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to sudo sed command

hi, dataParse(){ line="$@" name="cat /etc/passwd | grep "$line": | cut -f6 -d':'" eval $name > sam.txt 2>&1 sudo -u $line sed -n 's/data-1/&/p' $name/test.xml >> sam1.txt } Here i getting the homedir of the accounts and is set in name variable.which returns "/home/raju" which i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.tendulka
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable values to awk command

Hi, I have a situation where I have to specify a different value to an awk command, I beleive i have the gist of this done, however I am not able to get this correct. Here is what I have so far echo $id 065859555 This value occurs in a "pipe" delimited file in postition 8. Hence I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to sed command

Hi guys, I wanted to pass a variable to the sed command which tells which line to be deleted. a=2; echo $a; sed '$ad' c.out it is throwing an error. sed: 0602-403 "$a"d is not a recognized function. I even tried "$a" and \$a.. but it is of no use. Can you please correct me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a command in a variable

I need to set up a strange system through which an arbitrary command is sent to a number of different servers (well, actually, VPS accounts). We have a command "vpass" that "passes" a command from the root level to resident VPS accounts. Suppose I wanted each VPS to do some trivial thing, like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to sed command not working

Hello All, I am trying to embed variable in sed command to fetch a portion of record between two pattern. This command is not working ...any suggestion on this how to place the variable in sed command to find a portion . I am using Sun OS (Solaris). Thanks JM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jambesh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing perl variable to shell command

Can we pass perl variable to shell commands. If yes, please give some example. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Shell variable from file to another command

Hi all, I have a file looks like AAAA 111 BBBB 222 CCCC 333 need to pass variable value like var1=AAAA and var2=111 to another command for three times with next values. stuck over here cat file | while read line do export var1=`awk '{print $1}'` echo $var1 export var2=`cat file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing Variable in -mtime command

Hi, As the process of log cleanup, Im using the below command find $DIR -mtime +3 -type f -exec gzip {} \; The problem is I want to pass +3 as variable in my unix shell. I have defined ZPDATE=+3 in my properties file and calling this property file in my script. If i try the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
6 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [-v "string"] [pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2 Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3 Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4 Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)