Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing a variable to kill command Post 302701813 by vidyadhar85 on Monday 17th of September 2012 11:12:10 AM
Old 09-17-2012
Could you please post your full script please?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the command line argument in a variable

Hi, I am new to unix. Is their a way to pass the output of the line below to a variable var1. ls -1t | head -1. I am trying something like var1=ls -1t | head -1, but I get error. Situation is: I get file everyday through FTP in my unix box. I have to write a script that picks up first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable in SED getting command garbled

I fairly new to SED. I have tried many different variations of this line of code and even breaking it down into its components and running them separately. They work individually without variables but when I place the $todbname variable it will either inserts the text "connect to $todbname"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edewerth
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to sudo sed command

hi, dataParse(){ line="$@" name="cat /etc/passwd | grep "$line": | cut -f6 -d':'" eval $name > sam.txt 2>&1 sudo -u $line sed -n 's/data-1/&/p' $name/test.xml >> sam1.txt } Here i getting the homedir of the accounts and is set in name variable.which returns "/home/raju" which i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.tendulka
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable values to awk command

Hi, I have a situation where I have to specify a different value to an awk command, I beleive i have the gist of this done, however I am not able to get this correct. Here is what I have so far echo $id 065859555 This value occurs in a "pipe" delimited file in postition 8. Hence I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to sed command

Hi guys, I wanted to pass a variable to the sed command which tells which line to be deleted. a=2; echo $a; sed '$ad' c.out it is throwing an error. sed: 0602-403 "$a"d is not a recognized function. I even tried "$a" and \$a.. but it is of no use. Can you please correct me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a command in a variable

I need to set up a strange system through which an arbitrary command is sent to a number of different servers (well, actually, VPS accounts). We have a command "vpass" that "passes" a command from the root level to resident VPS accounts. Suppose I wanted each VPS to do some trivial thing, like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to sed command not working

Hello All, I am trying to embed variable in sed command to fetch a portion of record between two pattern. This command is not working ...any suggestion on this how to place the variable in sed command to find a portion . I am using Sun OS (Solaris). Thanks JM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jambesh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing perl variable to shell command

Can we pass perl variable to shell commands. If yes, please give some example. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Shell variable from file to another command

Hi all, I have a file looks like AAAA 111 BBBB 222 CCCC 333 need to pass variable value like var1=AAAA and var2=111 to another command for three times with next values. stuck over here cat file | while read line do export var1=`awk '{print $1}'` echo $var1 export var2=`cat file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing Variable in -mtime command

Hi, As the process of log cleanup, Im using the below command find $DIR -mtime +3 -type f -exec gzip {} \; The problem is I want to pass +3 as variable in my unix shell. I have defined ZPDATE=+3 in my properties file and calling this property file in my script. If i try the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
6 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)