Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File/string formatter script? Post 302701157 by pamu on Friday 14th of September 2012 10:50:51 PM
Old 09-14-2012
Replace all the spaces with single space...It will lined up your file...

Code:
sed 's/[ \t]\+/ /g' file

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Formatter

HI all, Is their any UNIX shell script code formatter that work on windows ? If so where can I get it ? I want to format the shell scripts in with proper indentation etc... Thanks...In Advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjaysk
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

code formatter for shell script

hello, do anybody know a program to format a shell script code ? i tried "editrocket.com" but this product doesn't format a shell script code. i searched for programs but can't find a shell script code formatter. i have to change a shell script and the style of code is ..... regards (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to extract string from file

Hello, I have a file whose contents look as follows <ID="24" name="Kobe Bryant" Position="Shooting Guard"> <name="Artest" Position="Forward" ID="37"> I need to get the output which contains everything in the quotes for Position (Shooting Guard and Forward). I tried this but it doesn't work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a string from a file using shell script

Hello everyone I am completely new to shell scripting in linux. I wan to write a script to search for a certain string from a .txt file and copy the string which apears just after tat searched string. Eg: in a file- try.txt , we have a line saying: "roses are red, so what do i do" I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishore920
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search a particular String form a file a write to another file using perl script

I have file which contains a huge amount of data. I need to search the pattern Message id. When that pattern is matched I need to get abcdeff0-1g6g-91g3-1z2z-2mm605m90000 to another file. Kindly provide your input. File is like below Jan 11 04:05:10 linux100 |NOTICE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raysf
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatter

Hi, I have been searching for a tool or online URL to format (beautify) UNIX shell script without any luck. Could you please assist any online link or tool to format UNIX shell script. I've couple of legacy scripts needs to be formatted. Thank you in advance. Regards, Pointers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers1234
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Search a string in a file in shell script?

I have a text file which is generated when the batch job is run. This batch may take few mins to run. When completed, the last line of the text file would be process completed. I need a shell script which will wait for this file till the process completed is printed in it, once found, it would move... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lalat
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)