Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk product of nth field
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk product of nth field Post 302699997 by madhavb on Wednesday 12th of September 2012 07:33:01 PM
Old 09-12-2012
Awk product of nth field

How do I do the product of nth filed just like sum. For sum I know like
Code:
awk '{ sum += $12 } END {printf "%.2f\n", sum}'

works as initial sum = 0.

But for product how do initialize the variable to 1?

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-13-2012 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk substitute variable value in nth field

I have a large csv file that looks like this: The 3rd field is a unix time stamp that I want to convert to human readable. I wrote a bash script with this code: IFS=$',' cat $1 | while read ID user DATE text flags read; do echo -e "$ID,$user,$(date -d @$DATE),$text,$flags,$read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the nth field value in delimiter file in unix using awk

Hi All, I wanted to find 200th field value in delimiter file using awk.? awk '{print $200}' inputfile I am getting error message :- awk: The field 200 must be in the range 0 to 199. The source line number is 1. The error context is {print >>> $200 <<< } using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Print from nth field to mth fields using awk

Hi, Is there any short method to print from a particular field till another filed using awk? Example File: File1 ==== 1|2|acv|vbc|......|100|342 2|3|afg|nhj|.......|100|346 Expected output: File2 ==== acv|vbc|.....|100 afg|nhj|.....|100 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to find top Nth values in Nth column

I have an awk script to find the maximum value of the 2nd column of a 2 column datafile, but I need to find the top 5 maximum values of the 2nd column. Here is the script that works for the maximum value. awk 'BEGIN { subjectmax=$1 ; max=0} $2 >= max {subjectmax=$1 ; max=$2} END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Nth to last field

Hey, I'm sure this is answered somewhere but my Googling has turned up nothing. I have a file with data in the following format: <desription of event> at <time and date>The desription of the event is variable length and hence when the list is displayed it is hard to easily see the date (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - printing nth field based on parameter

I have a need to print nth field based on the parameter passed. Suppose I have 3 fields in a file, passing 1 to the function should print 1st field and so on. I have attempted below function but this throws an error due to incorrect awk syntax. function calcmaxlen { FIELDMAXLEN=0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a value of Nth field of nth row

Using Awk, how can I achieve the following? I have set of record numbers, for which, I have to replace the nth field with some values, say spaces. Eg: Set of Records : 4,9,10,55,89,etc I have to change the 8th field of all the above set of records to spaces (10 spaces). Its a delimited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
sum(n)									sum								    sum(n)

NAME
sum - calculate a sum(1) compatible checksum SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require sum ?1.0? ::crc::sum ?-format format? message ::crc::sum ?-format format? -filename file DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the sum(1) command which calculates a 16 bit checksum value from the input data. The BSD sum algorithm is used by default but the SysV algorithm is also available. COMMANDS
::crc::sum ?-format format? message ::crc::sum ?-format format? -filename file The command takes string data or a file name and returns a checksum value calculated using the sum(1) algorithm. The result is for- matted using the format(n) specifier provided or as an unsigned integer (%u) by default. OPTIONS
-filename name Return a checksum for the file contents instead of for parameter data. -format string Return the checksum using an alternative format template. EXAMPLES
% crc::sum "Hello, World!" 37287 % crc::sum -format 0x%X "Hello, World!" 0x91A7 % crc::sum -file sum.tcl 13392 SEE ALSO
sum(1), cksum(n), crc32(n) AUTHORS
Pat Thoyts KEYWORDS
sum, cksum, checksum, crc, crc32, cyclic redundancy check, data integrity, security crc 1.0 sum(n)