Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove CR only on empty lines Post 302699893 by bakunin on Wednesday 12th of September 2012 01:41:40 PM
Old 09-12-2012
You seem to want to remove empty lines. Really empty lines contain nothing, not even white space, so the following will do the trick:

Code:
sed '/^$/d' /path/to/infile > /path/to/outfile

In case your lines are not that empty - that is, they may contain white space (space or tab) but nothing else (replace "<spc>" and "<tab>" by literal tabs/spaces):

Code:
sed '/^[<spc><tab>]*$/d' /path/to/infile > /path/to/outfile

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings

Hi, Please provide shell script to Remove empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings in a file. Input File : A1/EXT "BAP_BSC6/07B/00" 844 090602 1605 RXOCF-465 PDTR11 1 SITE ON BATTERY A2/EXT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to remove lines where field is empty

I was just looking at this post: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/22893-delete-multiple-empty-lines.html. and I am looking to achieve the same with sed. So the idea is to delete lines from a file where a certain field has no value. Inputfile: EMID MMDDYY HOURS JOB EMNAME 0241... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl or awk remove empty lines when condition

Hi Everyone, # cat 1 a b b cc 1 2 3 3 3 4 55 5 a b (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using vi -c to remove empty lines

Hello: I searched here for "vi -c" but found no hits. How can I use vi -c to remove ALL empty lines, regardless of how many? I tried <code> vi -c ":g/^$/d | wq" filename </code> but I have to run it several times. This is NOT homework. :) Thanks for your time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the command to remove empty lines with sed?

3 10 20 10 100 100 10000 Output: 3 10 20 10 100 100 10000 ---------- Post updated at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:56 AM ---------- sed '/^$/d' file doesn't work. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove empty line and the next one

Hi all, I'm trying to remove when this condition is met: an empty and the next one I'm using this command: sed '/^$/N; s/&//' file Which searches for an empty line, N attaches it to the next line, and substituing the combination with nothing.... but it is not working. What I'm missing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meuser
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove empty field

Hi all ! I'm sure it is a basic question but I didn't find any threads that fit my need. How to remove empty fields with awk? Or in other words, how to shift all the fields after an empty field on the left? input: 1|2||3|4|5||6 wanted: 1|2|3|4|5|6 I tried: awk '{for(i=1; i<=NF;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove empty records

Hello: Is there a simple way to remove empty records of FASTA format file? A FASTA format consists of two parts: header and sequence (for non-biologist, Wiki for details of course!). The header always start with ">" for the name of the sequence. The header must be in this ONLY single line.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining broken lines and removing empty lines

Hi - I have req to join broken lines and remove empty lines but should NOT be in one line. It has to be as is line by line. The challenge here is there is no end of line/start of line char. thanks in advance Source:- 2003-04-34024|04-10-2003|Claims|Claim|01-13-2003|Air Bag:Driver;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackceasar123
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove empty line.?

Hi gurus, I have a script which works fine. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/239347-how-pass-string-into-sql-query.html while read p do && para="'${p}'" || para="${para},'${p}'" done < filePlease use code tags as required by forum rules! a few days... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
6 Replies
MAKE_SOCKDFR(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKDFR(8)

NAME
make_sockdfr - Generates frozen route file for SOCKS server SYNOPSIS
make_sockdfr [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_sockdfr reads in a plain-text route file for the SOCKS server and produces a frozen route file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/sockd.route; the default for outfile is /etc/sockd.fr. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen route file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen route file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS server program since it no longer has to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS server starts, it always looks for the frozen route file /etc/sockd.fr first. If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text route file /etc/sockd.route. If you use frozen route file, you must remember to run make_sockdfr every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS server will continue to use the frozen version of a previous route file. To find out the contents of a frozen route file, use dump_sockdfr. FILES
/etc/sockd.fr, /etc/sockd.route SEE ALSO
dump_sockdfr(8), sockd.fr(5), sockd.route(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@esd.sgi.com or yingda@best.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKDFR(8)