Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there any $PATH default setting? Post 302699485 by yifangt on Tuesday 11th of September 2012 08:13:21 PM
Old 09-11-2012
Thanks alister!
I should have thought about the alias!
Actually the /usr/local/bin is the place where many shared commands are put in by the admin, but all my corresponding commands are put in my local ~/download-software/bin, most of which I update frequently by myself. How give this directory precedence over /usr/local/bin? Is that simply put
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:~/download-software/bin

at the beginning in .bashrc file? Thanks again!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting $PATH for a particular file...????

:) dear members; I am trying to placea directory to keep minor records in particular directories.. rather than just rely on hard links.. I would like to set the $PATH variable so that I can access the directory itself from anywhere; ex./ /tmp or /bin /var... I know how to export enviromental... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on setting path variable

Hi there, I need help on setting the path variable. How can I set the path variable with Bourne Shell. My scripts goes like this, but did not work. #!/bin/sh PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/export/home/zchen/home export PATH Thanks, Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: randomcz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path

Hi all, I have a java command in a shell script. When i m executing the command from the prompt its working fine. But when i paste the same command in a shell script and execute the shell script it says path not found. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem Setting $PATH

I am trying to install the pkg-get package to a fresh install of Solaris 10. I am able to download and install correctly using the default directory for both pkg-get and wget as found on blastwave.org. When I issue the command "which wget and which pkg-get" it returns no wget or pkg-get found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greengrass
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up a path in UNIX

I have the following script "test". When i tried to execute it, I am not able to run it. I dunno why ? Then i tried getting the first few lines of the script which is displayed below: $head -10 test #!/bin/ksh PROG=$0;export PROG ORAUSER=`get_inf_env INFORM_DB_ACCOUNT`;export ORAUSER... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
13 Replies

6. Solaris

Setting PATH - Vanishes

Hi , I new to solaris. I want to set path variable . Eg: JAVA_HOME. When i do this, #JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/jdk1.6 #export JAVA_HOME #echo $JAVA_HOME /usr/jdk/jdk1.6 Then its ok. When i toggle to bourne shell or if i log off or restart. then JAVA_HOME is echoed blank. How to set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnanagurus
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path names

I am in a directory called /abstracts Doing tree -d gives . ├── geo1936 │ ├── geo01n01 │ ├── geo01n02 │ └── geo01n03 ├── geo1937 │ ├── geo02n01 │ ├── geo02n02 │ ├── geo02n03 │ └── geo02n04 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a private path

Hi all, This is probably a very simple question but I couldn't even think of how to phrase it intelligently so google could tell me the answer. Basically I am a user on a server, I am not the admin and do not have root privileges. I have downloaded a bunch of programs that I need to use and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavyK1984
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting class path

hi , can anybody help me to chage the class path in unix server.. what are the files need to update .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
2 Replies
ECACCESS-FILE-MGET(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    ECACCESS-FILE-MGET(1p)

NAME
ecaccess-file-mget - Download Multiple ECaccess Files at once SYNOPSIS
ecaccess-file-mget -version|-help|-manual ecaccess-file-mget [-debug] [-progress] [-force] [-bufsize length] source-ecaccess-file [...] target-local-directory DESCRIPTION
Allow downloading Multiple ECaccess Files at once in the specified target-local-directory. Each source-ecaccess-file is in the form [domain:][/user-id/]path. Please read the "Shell commands -> File Management" section of the "ecaccess" guide for more information on the ECaccess File System. Please note this command is not recursive and will only download the plain-files in the source-ecaccess-file directory (sub-directories are ignored). ARGUMENTS
source-ecaccess-file [...] The name(s) of the source ECaccess File(s). target-local-directory The name of the target Local Directory. OPTIONS
-progress Provide a progress meter on the standard terminal, allowing to monitor the file transmission in real-time. The progress bar is removed from the terminal when the transmission is done. This option is not supported and ignored on Windows platforms. -force Overrides the interactive mode and download each file without prompting. -bufsize length Specify the length of the buffer (in bytes) which is used to download the files. The larger the buffer the smaller the number of http/s requests. By default a buffer of 1048576 bytes(1MB) is used. -version Display version number and exits. -help Print a brief help message and exits. -manual Prints the manual page and exits. -debug Display the SOAP messages exchanged. EXAMPLES
ecaccess-file-mget 'home:/xyz/bin/*.bin' $HOME/bin Download the *.bin Files in the $HOME/bin directory of the user xyz. The Files are downloaded in the local $HOME/bin directory. SEE ALSO
ecaccess-file-delete, ecaccess-file-get, ecaccess-file-chmod, ecaccess-file-modtime, ecaccess-file-mput, ecaccess-file-rmdir, ecaccess- file-copy, ecaccess-file-dir, ecaccess-file-mdelete, ecaccess-file-mkdir, ecaccess-file-move, ecaccess-file-put, ecaccess-file-size and ecaccess. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-16 ECACCESS-FILE-MGET(1p)