Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C- trying to code a 'spare array'; 'enum' fauled. Post 302699385 by Corona688 on Tuesday 11th of September 2012 01:27:29 PM
Old 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_5161
That makes solution not sparse (and for int-int makes no sence: same type!)
If you wanted a truly sparse solution I already gave you that. Even if it was done by the compiler, it'd still need to search somehow if it didn't use a big table. It's not psychic either, after all. You wanted a solution with guaranteed fixed search time, which even hash tables can't do. It has to be an array.

256 integer elements is one kilobyte of memory. That's not a lot. It can fit in a modern processor's cache many times over. And if you know you have fewer elements, you can make it smaller.

I think it makes plenty of sense to use an array. You see it happen all the time. When you build a processor using the lex and yacc tools, for instance, what does it use for state lookups? Integer arrays.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-11-2012 at 03:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vfstab on spare disk - HOW ? Mount ?

Hi, guys ! Could someone clarify one thing for me: I start machine from disk0, and want to check the /etc/vfstab on disk1. How do i do it ? Tried to write: cd / mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /mnt But if I do cd /mnt, it is empty. I expected to see disk1 there ? Or am I wrong ? How do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
3 Replies

2. Programming

what is the base type of enum

helo i have asked in exam what that what is the base type of enum options are given bewlo (1) long int (2) short int (3) signed int (4) unsigned int can u tell me what is the exact answer from the above option Regards, Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

DNS ENUM RR interpretation

Hi Guys, This is really really urgent. Am looking out for some quick answers. I'm developing a DNS Resolver client that interprets DNS Query repsonses & pass on the needful to DNS applications. When an ENUM query(modified to an nslookup naptr query) is issued & an NAPTR RR(Resource Record)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

4. Programming

enum in c++

#include <iostream> #include <stdio.h> using namespace std; typedef struct A { enum a{ red,blue,green}a; }obj11; obj11 obj1; int main() { //obj1.a=red; // how to set variable ? cout<<"sizeof struct is n"<<sizeof(obj1); cout<<"obj1.a is"<<obj1.a; if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Hot Spare pool

One more query in SVM :) Now with hot spare spool... I can understand adding/replacing a slice in particular hot spare pool with "-a / -r" option (or) adding a slice to all existing hot spare pool with "-all" option. Here my query is for deleting, we have only option "-d". 1) If the hot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Hot Spare replacement

Hi Guys, Can Someone pls let me know the thorough process for Hot spare replacement as current Hot spare slice has broken down . :mad: Thanks ---------- Post updated at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:21 PM ---------- Update : Its a solaris 10 box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Solarister
1 Replies

7. Programming

enum and C preprocessor

Say I have a list of enumerations I wish to use to select a variable at compile-time: enum pins { PIN_A=1, PIN_B=7, PIN_C=6, } int VAR1, VAR2, VAR3, VAR4, VAR5, VAR6, VAR7; #define PIN_TO_VAR(NUM) VAR ## NUM int main(void) { PIN_TO_VAR(PIN_A)=32;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to get spare disks working

Dears how can i make this spare disks working online to replace a defective disks vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t10d0s2 sliced - - error c0t11d0s2 sliced disk08 rootdg online c1t16d0s2 sliced ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
3 Replies

9. Programming

Mixed enum types - coverity defect

Hi All, I came across this error "MIXING ENUM TYPES" when I run my C program against the Coverity Tool. I've made many search relating to the error, but I didnt find the exact solution. Can anyone help me to overcome this.? Thanks in Advance.!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parameswaran
3 Replies

10. Solaris

How to determine if i have spare disks in Solaris?

Hi Guys, obviously new to SOLARIS SUN SPARC 5.10 I would really appreciate if you help me see how to find free disks available in my system. Like i am a linux admin. If i want to grow a file system in linux. I would first have a look at my volume groups to see if they have free PEs if not then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aiqbal
2 Replies
DPTRFS(l)								 )								 DPTRFS(l)

NAME
DPTRFS - improve the computed solution to a system of linear equations when the coefficient matrix is symmetric positive definite and tridiagonal, and provides error bounds and backward error estimates for the solution SYNOPSIS
SUBROUTINE DPTRFS( N, NRHS, D, E, DF, EF, B, LDB, X, LDX, FERR, BERR, WORK, INFO ) INTEGER INFO, LDB, LDX, N, NRHS DOUBLE PRECISION B( LDB, * ), BERR( * ), D( * ), DF( * ), E( * ), EF( * ), FERR( * ), WORK( * ), X( LDX, * ) PURPOSE
DPTRFS improves the computed solution to a system of linear equations when the coefficient matrix is symmetric positive definite and tridi- agonal, and provides error bounds and backward error estimates for the solution. ARGUMENTS
N (input) INTEGER The order of the matrix A. N >= 0. NRHS (input) INTEGER The number of right hand sides, i.e., the number of columns of the matrix B. NRHS >= 0. D (input) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (N) The n diagonal elements of the tridiagonal matrix A. E (input) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (N-1) The (n-1) subdiagonal elements of the tridiagonal matrix A. DF (input) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (N) The n diagonal elements of the diagonal matrix D from the factorization computed by DPTTRF. EF (input) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (N-1) The (n-1) subdiagonal elements of the unit bidiagonal factor L from the factorization computed by DPTTRF. B (input) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (LDB,NRHS) The right hand side matrix B. LDB (input) INTEGER The leading dimension of the array B. LDB >= max(1,N). X (input/output) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (LDX,NRHS) On entry, the solution matrix X, as computed by DPTTRS. On exit, the improved solution matrix X. LDX (input) INTEGER The leading dimension of the array X. LDX >= max(1,N). FERR (output) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (NRHS) The forward error bound for each solution vector X(j) (the j-th column of the solution matrix X). If XTRUE is the true solution corresponding to X(j), FERR(j) is an estimated upper bound for the magnitude of the largest element in (X(j) - XTRUE) divided by the magnitude of the largest element in X(j). BERR (output) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (NRHS) The componentwise relative backward error of each solution vector X(j) (i.e., the smallest relative change in any element of A or B that makes X(j) an exact solution). WORK (workspace) DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (2*N) INFO (output) INTEGER = 0: successful exit < 0: if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value PARAMETERS
ITMAX is the maximum number of steps of iterative refinement. LAPACK version 3.0 15 June 2000 DPTRFS(l)