Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue with scp to whole folder Post 302698895 by DGPickett on Monday 10th of September 2012 04:44:06 PM
Old 09-10-2012
You might look into 'rsync', which will keep the remote looking like the local, can use ssh.

You can make local and remote file lists with "find ... -mtime -N", sort them, compare them with 'comm -23' to get the new file names, and just scp those files. If file might change, you can use cksum to add the length and sum to the name and the same comm will see if they are new.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

cd wherever

comm -23 <(
   find * -mtime -2 -type f | xargs -r cksum | sort
  ) <(
   ssh -nC host_over_there 'cd wherever
     find * -mtime -2 -type f | xargs -r cksum' | sort
  ) | while read s l n
  do
   scp -C $n host_over_there:wherever/$n
  done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg: SCP issue

Hi , I am beginner in aix... i am using the following command in my shell script to to copy the files from a secured server to my aix box... /usr/local/bin/scp pickme@brad.wanted.com:../internal/mem_grp_details* Should i use sleep command in my shell script for the script to copy the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp -r and "?" folder

Hi, I am using scp command to backup files and copy the entire directory from the remote server to backup folder on my local machine. Please see the command below: scp -r -p elenaa@host:../../folder1/folder2/ ./backup/ Everything transfers just fine however after the transfer is done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElenaA
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp issue

hi, after scp from a mac to a unix server and back a set of .wav files (originally generated by ppt with 'record narration') become corrupted somehow, and when opened the sound files has become noise. non-.wav files in the same folder are not affected. strangely, the problem only seems to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halcroves
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp issue

I've got an ssh server on each pc in my LAN. I wanna use scp to copy files, but it doesn't work. 0;4:59pm% scp mghis@localhost:/home/mghis/foobar mghis@192.168.0.3:/home/mghis/foobar mghis@192.168.0.3's password: < I type in the remote password > mar 28 set 2010, 17.00.26, CEST 17:00:26 up... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
4 Replies

6. Solaris

scp issue

Hi I am trying to copy file from one server to another server. i used : scp filename username\@targerserver:path i got this is error : ssh: servername: node name or service name not known lost connection Please advice on this Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp/untar in parallel issue tar : Unexpected EOF in archive

Hi Guys, I am facing a strange issue while doing parallel (using & for background) scp/untar operation from my unix box to multiple unix boxes... I am getting tar : unexpected EOF in archive error the code is as follows.,,, for i in 10 do sh -c "scp <command> ; ssh tar -xf <tar> -C... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp/untar .tar file in parallel issue

Hi Guys, I am facing a strange issue while doing parallel (using & for background) scp/untar operation from my unix box to multiple unix boxes... I am getting tar : unexpected EOF in archive error the code is as follows.,,, for i in 10 do sh -c "scp <command> ; ssh tar -xf <tar> -C... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP GET Local folder issue

Hi, My requirement is that I should execute SFTP from /users/XYZ dir and get the file on to /users/XYZ/TEST folder with out the sys error. I'm facing the following strange issue with SFTP execution. I need to copy a file 'abc.txt' from Remote m/c(MyServer) to local machine(Server1). I've... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skpvalvekar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't solve a simple SSH/scp issue.. Please help.

Disclaimer: I tried searching but wasn't able to get to the answer so please don't flame. Scenario: I have a root script that generates a file on box1 and then needs to scp it over to box2 using user1. Both boxes are running open-ssh. root@locat-host# scp /tmp/file1 user1@box2:/tmp/file1 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
10 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) characters in length. BSD
January 26, 2005 BSD