Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Writing a loop to changing the names of files in a directory Post 302698755 by pamu on Monday 10th of September 2012 12:54:19 PM
Old 09-10-2012
try this...

Code:
for i in {1..1000}
do
mv data$i.txt a$i.txt
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help writing script to read files names

Hi there, I am trying to do somehting similar, but on a wider scale. I am trying to write a script that would open the home directory, open the first (of 650) user's folder open the ?mail directory, which every user has Then I need the script to read each of the files and folder names with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: technett
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files and changing names

i have many files with extention filename.ASN_ERROR~ at a path. I want to move these files to another path and change extension to .ASN There are more then 80,000 files so i cant use manual commands muneebr (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
5 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

changing multiple directory names w/ sed

ive looked and couldnt find an answer... can someone tell me how i can replace spaces and characters with an "_" on multiple folders? thanx muchly. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RahJiggah
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing filenames in a directory to a number within a loop

hey guys. i'm new to shell scripting but not new to programming. i want to write a script that will take all the files in the current directory that end with a particular filetype and change all their names to a number in order. so, it would take all the jpg files and sort them in alphabetical... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitorQ
30 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] merging two files and writing to another file- solved

i have two files as file1: 1 2 3 file2: a b c and the output should be: file3: 1~a 2~b 3~c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Changing file names

I have written a csh script that changes the name of file from src to dst. I am getting the error below: TESTAmvfiles DONE TESTAmvfiles set: Variable name must begin with a letter. The csh script is: #!/bin/csh #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing multiple directory names

Hi guys, I have lots of files that look like: ABC.packed.dir DEF.packed.dir GHI.packed.dir etc... I would like them to have more of the usual naming convention ABC DEF GHI etc... so I was thinking that I could: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atjurhs
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory names

Some guidance is highly appreciated. I have 10 directories with names ending with 'xyz', each of them have about 30000 files. I want to loop through the contents of each directory and produce a single output per directory. So I want to have 10 output files named 'directory_name'_out. With... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie83
1 Replies
PHARDATA.EXTRACTTO(3)							 1						     PHARDATA.EXTRACTTO(3)

PharData::extractTo - Extract the contents of a tar/zip archive to a directory

SYNOPSIS
bool PharData::extractTo (string $pathto, [string|array $files], [bool $overwrite = false]) DESCRIPTION
Extract all files within a tar/zip archive to disk. Extracted files and directories preserve permissions as stored in the archive. The optional parameters allow optional control over which files are extracted, and whether existing files on disk can be overwritten. The sec- ond parameter files can be either the name of a file or directory to extract, or an array of names of files and directories to extract. By default, this method will not overwrite existing files, the third parameter can be set to true to enable overwriting of files. This method is similar to ZipArchive.extractTo(3). PARAMETERS
o $pathto - Path to extract the given files to o $files - The name of a file or directory to extract, or an array of files/directories to extract o $overwrite - Set to TRUE to enable overwriting existing files RETURN VALUES
returns TRUE on success, but it is better to check for thrown exception, and assume success if none is thrown. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Throws PharException if errors occur while flushing changes to disk. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A PharData.extractTo(3) example <?php try { $phar = new PharData('myphar.tar'); $phar->extractTo('/full/path'); // extract all files $phar->extractTo('/another/path', 'file.txt'); // extract only file.txt $phar->extractTo('/this/path', array('file1.txt', 'file2.txt')); // extract 2 files only $phar->extractTo('/third/path', null, true); // extract all files, and overwrite } catch (Exception $e) { // handle errors } ?> SEE ALSO
Phar.extractTo(3). PHP Documentation Group PHARDATA.EXTRACTTO(3)