Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file Post 302698681 by bakunin on Monday 10th of September 2012 11:10:41 AM
Old 09-10-2012
As it is, alister did most of the work and you should thank him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuranga
I tried your adjustments, but the STDOUT will always displayed on screen.
hmm, that is unexpected. With the example script i gave (see up this thread). I was able to get the result you wanted, albeit we learned from alister that it was more out of chance and won't work in larger scales.

Quote:
I need this for a cronjob. Actually everything (STDOUT & STDERR) is written to a log. But I want to get informed, when an error occurs.
A cron job has no terminal attached to it at all and output to <stdout> is usually mailed to the owner of the cron job. This is the reason why <stderr> and <stdout> in cronjobs are always redirected - you don't want to get all these mails.

If you want output to go to the "system console" (don't confuse this with a terminal - the console can be any terminal, but not every terminal is the console) use syslogs facilities instead of simple output. Syslog messages can be configured to go either to the system console or every terminal. An example for this would be the "shutdown" command, which usually prints a "The system is about to go down"-message on every terminal. This is done via a syslog facility.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending stdout and stderr to a file

working on a c sell script I think I understand the concept of it, which is: filename >> file.txt (to appaend) or filename | tee -a file.txt (to append) The problem is that my shell script is used with several parameters, and these commands don't seem to work with just filename. They... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistermojo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve output order when redirecting stdout and stderr

Hi, I already searched through the forum and tried to find a answer for my problem but I didn't found a full working solution, thats way I start this new thread and hope, some can help out. I wonder that I'm not able to find a working solution for the following scenario: Working in bash I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boemm
8 Replies

7. Programming

stderr stdout to a log file

I originally wrote my script using the korn shell and had to port it to bash on a another server. My script is working find for backing up but noticed that now after the move, I am not getting any output to my log files. Using Korn shell, this worked for me for some odd reason. This was sending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout. After some research and testing i got this so far : (( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDominok
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
pam_console(8)						   System Administrator's Manual					    pam_console(8)

NAME
pam_console - control permissions for users at the system console SYNOPSIS
session optional /lib/security/pam_console.so auth required /lib/security/pam_console.so DESCRIPTION
pam_console.so is designed to give users at the physical console (virtual terminals and local xdm-managed X sessions by default, but that is configurable) capabilities that they would not otherwise have, and to take those capabilities away when the are no longer logged in at the console. It provides two main kinds of capabilities: file permissions and authentication. When a user logs in at the console and no other user is currently logged in at the console, pam_console.so will change permissions and own- ership of files as described in the file /etc/security/console.perms. That user may then log in on other terminals that are considered part of the console, and as long as the user is still logged in at any one of those terminals, that user will own those devices. When the user logs out of the last terminal, the console may be taken by the next user to log in. Other users who have logged in at the console during the time that the first user was logged in will not be given ownership of the devices unless they log in on one of the terminals; having done so on any one terminal, the next user will own those devices until he or she has logged out of every terminal that is part of the physical console. Then the race can start for the next user. In practice, this is not a problem; the physical console is not gener- ally in use by many people at the same time, and pam_console.so just tries to do the right thing in weird cases. ARGUMENTS
debug turns on debugging allow_nonroot_tty gain console locks and change permissions even if the TTY's owner is not root. permsfile=filename tells pam_console.so to get its permissions database from a different file than /etc/security/console.perms fstab=filename tells pam_console.so to read the table of configured filesystems from a file other than /etc/fstab when scanning permsfile. This file is used to map directories to device names. FILES
/var/run/console.lock /var/run/console/ /etc/security/console.apps /etc/security/console.perms SEE ALSO
console.perms(5) console.apps(5) /usr/doc/pam*/html/index.html pam_console_apply(8) /usr/doc/pam*/html/index.html BUGS
Let's hope not, but if you find any, please report them via the "Bug Track" link at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ AUTHOR
Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> Red Hat 2000/7/11 pam_console(8)