Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Modem connection between two local PCs Post 302698277 by Corona688 on Sunday 9th of September 2012 03:02:58 PM
Old 09-09-2012
You can't connect two modems jack-to-jack and expect them to work, you're missing something important, the telephone company. You'd need something odd like long-haul modems to connect without a telco.

I read an article in a magazine long ago -- might have been Popular Electronics -- schematics for a device which would do this; a sort of telephone-company-in-a-box. It would generate dialtones and react to a number being dialed on one end by ringing on the other, but it was a big and complicated device due to the high voltages needed to drive telephone lines and the complexity of having to understand DTMF audio. They could probably miniaturize it further these days, but most hobbyists don't care about POTS anymore.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-09-2012 at 04:13 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem problem: "Sorry, modem is busy"

Hi! I have a little prob with dialing up to the internet... When I try connect, it says "Sorry, modem is busy"... Specs: Laptop 56K modem Slackware 8.0 Kernel 2.4.5 Cheers;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Terminal 'Local Echo' lost on Modem Dial-out

Can anybody help me? I am developing a utility for automating message paging to a BT alphanumeric pager. I am using a USR 56K Fax-modem connected to /dev/cuab on a Sun Ultra-10. I am using the UNIX 'tip' utility to connect to the modem and I have configured the modem as follows: Baud Rate:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mybeat
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Four PCs Sharing ADSL

Hello, everyone. I have a little favor to ask. Me and my friends decided sharing an ADSL line with four PCs. PC no.1: Desktop, two netcard (2000 and 8139), Mandrake 9.0 PC no.2: Acer notebook, PC Card, RTL-8139C/8139C+, MS 98 + Win 2000 Pro PC no.3: Desktop, net card 8139, WindowME + Win 2000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem - Test /dev/modem

Ok. I tried following the directions from some of the other threads, but I've hit a road block. I have red hat 7.3 and I installed the hcf package: hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.18_3-1rh.i386.rpm It installed ok, no errors, but I still can't get linux to find my modem. I've tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hyperterminal null modem connection to Solaris

I am new to Unix. I just got my SUN box from ebay with Solaris supposedly preloaded. The problem is I am unable to connect via Hyperterminal to Solaris, or more to the point, cannot tell if I have a successful connection and that solaris is the one not properly booted up. I hooked up a null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seethams
3 Replies

6. AIX

serial modem connection

I configured the serial modem in my P6-550 AIX 5.3 box But i dont have telephone line. when I run the command # cu -l /dev/tty1 the output is as follows does it mean that my modem is responding to the command? can i say my serial port is working and communicating fine? Connected ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 ftp connection problem (connection refused, connection timed out)

Hi everyone, I am hoping anyone of you could help me in this weird problem we have in 1 of our Solaris 10 servers. Lately, we have been having some ftp problems in this server. Though it can ping any server within the network, it seems that it can only ftp to a select few. For most servers, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: labdakos
4 Replies

8. Hardware

Serial connection CAT5 instead of RS232 and Null Modem or Straight cable.

Hello, I want to connect a VT520 terminal to p3 linux box. I have two questions regarding the connection. First, is it possible to use RJ45 instead of RS232 cable. (with DB9 pin to RJ45 and DB25 to RJ45 converter). Second point is that; do i need null modem cable or straight cable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
5 Replies
Dialcodes(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      Dialcodes(4)

NAME
Dialcodes - Contains the initial digits of telephone numbers used to establish remote connections over a telephone line SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/uucp/Dialcodes DESCRIPTION
The /usr/lib/uucp/Dialcodes file contains the initial digits of telephone numbers used by the uucp program to establish remote connections over a telephone line. The Dialcodes file simplifies entries in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file for sites where a number of device tele- phone numbers have the same prefix. If users at your site communicate regularly by way of telephone lines and modems to multiple systems all located at the same remote site, or to multiple systems located at different remote sites, use dial-code abbreviations in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file rather than entering the complete telephone number of each remote modem in that file. The Dialcodes file contains dial-code abbreviations and partial telephone numbers that complete the telephone entries in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file. Entries in the Dialcodes file contain an alphabetic prefix attached to a partial telephone number that may include the following information, in the order listed: Codes for an outside line. Long-distance access codes (1 and the area code, if the modem is out of the local area). The 3-digit exchange number. The relevant alphabetic prefix (representing the partial telephone number), together with the remaining four digits of that number, is then entered in the Phone field in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file. Following is the form of an entry in a Dialcodes file: DialCodeAbbreviation DialingSequence The DialCodeAbbreviation part of the entry is an alphabetic prefix containing up to eight letters, established when setting up the dial- code listing. The DialingSequence comprises all the digits in the number that precede the actual 4-digit telephone number. Note that if your site uses only a relatively small number of telephone connections to remote systems, include the complete telephone num- bers of the remote modems in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file rather than using dial-code abbreviations. Enter each prefix only once in the Dialcodes file. When you have set up a dial-code abbreviation, use that prefix in all relevant entries in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file. Only someone with superuser authority can edit the Dialcodes file, which is owned by the uucp program login ID. EXAMPLES
The Dialcodes file on system venus contains the following dial-code prefix for use with a number in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file: local 9=555 The Systems file on system venus contains the following entry for system zeus, including a telephone number and a dial-code prefix: zeus Any ACU 1200 local1212 in:--in: nuucp word: thunder When the uucp program on system venus dials system zeus, it uses the expanded telephone number =5551212. FILES
Contains all the configuration files for the uucp program, including the Dialcoddes file Contains information about available devices Spec- ifies initial handshaking on a connection Describes accessible remote systems RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cu(1), tip(1), uucp(1), uuto(1), uux(1) delim off Dialcodes(4)