Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating groups and users
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Creating groups and users Post 302698209 by jlliagre on Sunday 9th of September 2012 04:13:45 AM
Old 09-09-2012
I'm afraid this is incorrect too:
Code:
$ grep 131 /etc/group
winbindd_priv:x:131:
$ id winbindd_priv
id: winbindd_priv: No such user
$ echo $?
$ id 131
id: 131: No such user
$ echo $?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Users and groups

Hi, Is it possible that one user belongs to many groups, or the relation of user/group is 1/1?. Thanks Ramón (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsanz
2 Replies

2. Linux

listing users and groups

RH 7.2 I'm trying to list the users & groups on my machine. I found the lsuser & lsgroup commands but no associated man pages. I typed: lsuser I get --> Valid options are: -a So I typed: lsuser -a I get --> Valid options are: groups, home So I typed: lsuser -a groups I get -->... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users and groups

hi eveyone i've recently requested my unix admin to create a userid for 2 groups. He created the id and i can see it by grep "id" /etc/group. But when i login with that id into unix and try to cd that group it says permission denied. something like cd /groupname -- permission denied Can my admin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Defaults number of users and Groups

Hi All, I would like know how many of default number of users and groups are there in solaris-10... Regards Tirupathi Raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Removing users from groups

How do I remove a user from a group? I'm using the usermod command but its not working. I have a user "abc" who is a member of the groups root and other. I'm trying to remove him from the group "other" (using CLI) which is his secondary group but it's not working. How do I do this? Is there any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List users and groups

Hi I am new to unix so hopefully someone can help. I need to list all the users I have in my unix enviroment (AIX) and the groups (primary and secondary) they belong to. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3y
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

users and groups /etc/group parsing

Hi, I have two little issues: 1) there is possible in sh to create a function who return a boolean value? 2)i have to verify if an user belongs to a group and i think it is needed to create a function which take two parameter and return a boolean value. in fact i have to parse /etc/group... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users in multiple groups?

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! I have a question about adding users to multiple groups. Thanks in advance Using Red Hat and here are the issues: Example: Users: Bob Mark Groups: SystemsAnalysts BusinessAnalysts If I am adding a user Bob to both groups (SystemsAnalysts and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansokl
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating user groups that are persistent

Hi, I need to modify the user 'munfai' by adding it into groups bscs, oinstall, dba. I use this command as user root to add the user into the mentioned groups : # usermod -G bscs,oinstall,dba munfai I can thereafter see the id in the groups : # id munfai uid=258(munfai) gid=20(users)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
YPSERV(8)						       NIS Reference Manual							 YPSERV(8)

NAME
ypserv - NIS Server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ypserv [-d] [-p port] [-f|--foreground] DESCRIPTION
The Network Information Service (NIS) provides a simple network lookup service consisting of databases and processes. The databases are gdbm files in a directory tree rooted at /var/yp. The ypserv daemon is typically activated at system startup. ypserv runs only on NIS server machines with a complete NIS database. On other machines using the NIS services, you have to run ypbind as client or under Linux you could use the libc with NYS support. ypbind must run on every machine which has NIS client processes; ypserv may or may not be running on the same node, but must be running somewhere on the network. On startup ypserv parses the file /etc/ypserv.conf. It is also possible to pass OPTIONS to ypserv using the environment variable YPSERV_ARGS and this variable can be set in /etc/sysconfig/network. OPTIONS
-d, --debug Causes the server to run in debugging mode. Normally, ypserv reports only errors (access violations, dbm failures) using the syslog(3) facility. In debug mode, the server does not background itself and prints extra status messages to stderr for each request that it revceives. -p, --port port ypserv will bind itself to this port. This makes it possible to have a router filter packets to the NIS ports, so that access to the NIS server from hosts on the Internet can be restricted. -v, --version Prints the version number -f, --foreground will not put itself into background. SECURITY
In general, any remote user can issue an RPC to ypserv and retrieve the contents of your NIS maps, if he knows your domain name. To prevent such unauthorized transactions, ypserv supports a feature called securenets which can be used to restrict access to a given set of hosts. At startup ypserv will attempt to load the securenets information from a file called /var/yp/securenets . This file contains entries that consist of a netmask and a network pair separated by white spaces. Lines starting with "#" are considered to be comments. A sample securenets file might look like this: # allow connections from local host -- necessary host 127.0.0.1 # same as 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 # # allow connections from any host # on the 131.234.223.0 network 255.255.255.0 131.234.223.0 # allow connections from any host # between 131.234.214.0 and 131.234.215.255 255.255.254.0 131.234.214.0 If ypserv receives a request from an address that fails to match a rule, the request will be ignored and a warning message will be logged. If the /var/yp/securenets file does not exist, ypserv will allow connections from any host. In the /etc/ypserv.conf you could specify some access rules for special maps and hosts. But it is not very secure, it makes the life only a little bit harder for a potential hacker. If a mapname doesn't match a rule, ypserv will look for the YP_SECURE key in the map. If it exists, ypserv will only allow requests on a reserved port. For security reasons, ypserv will only accept ypproc_xfr requests for updating maps from the same master server as the old one. This means, you have to reinstall the slave servers if you change the master server for a map. BUGS
Sending the signal SIGHUP to the server can lead to a deadlock or crash. FILES
/etc/ypserv.conf configuration file. /var/yp/securenets which hosts are allowed to contact ypserv. /etc/sysconfig/network setting additional arguments to ypserv. SEE ALSO
domainname(1), ypcat(1), ypmatch(1), ypserv.conf(5), netgroup(5), makedbm(8), revnetgroup(8), ypinit(8), yppoll(8), yppush(8), ypset(8), ypwhich(8), ypxfr(8), rpc.ypxfrd(8) The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Sun Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality of the two remains the same; only the name has changed. The name Yellow Pages is a registered trademark in the United Kingdom of British Telecommunications plc, and may not be used without permission. AUTHOR
ypserv was written by Peter Eriksson <pen@lysator.liu.se>. Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@linux-nis.org> added support for master/slave server and is the new Maintainer. NIS Reference Manual 01/27/2010 YPSERV(8)