Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating groups and users
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Creating groups and users Post 302697673 by jlliagre on Friday 7th of September 2012 07:47:08 AM
Old 09-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy
Please correct me if i am wrong.
I'm afraid you are. getent is not pattern matching based but expects complete names or ids. In addition getent can query the group database while id is restricted to the passwd one. The question is also asking how to make sure a group name isn't already used but id can't be used to achieve that task.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Users and groups

Hi, Is it possible that one user belongs to many groups, or the relation of user/group is 1/1?. Thanks Ramón (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsanz
2 Replies

2. Linux

listing users and groups

RH 7.2 I'm trying to list the users & groups on my machine. I found the lsuser & lsgroup commands but no associated man pages. I typed: lsuser I get --> Valid options are: -a So I typed: lsuser -a I get --> Valid options are: groups, home So I typed: lsuser -a groups I get -->... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users and groups

hi eveyone i've recently requested my unix admin to create a userid for 2 groups. He created the id and i can see it by grep "id" /etc/group. But when i login with that id into unix and try to cd that group it says permission denied. something like cd /groupname -- permission denied Can my admin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Defaults number of users and Groups

Hi All, I would like know how many of default number of users and groups are there in solaris-10... Regards Tirupathi Raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Removing users from groups

How do I remove a user from a group? I'm using the usermod command but its not working. I have a user "abc" who is a member of the groups root and other. I'm trying to remove him from the group "other" (using CLI) which is his secondary group but it's not working. How do I do this? Is there any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List users and groups

Hi I am new to unix so hopefully someone can help. I need to list all the users I have in my unix enviroment (AIX) and the groups (primary and secondary) they belong to. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3y
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

users and groups /etc/group parsing

Hi, I have two little issues: 1) there is possible in sh to create a function who return a boolean value? 2)i have to verify if an user belongs to a group and i think it is needed to create a function which take two parameter and return a boolean value. in fact i have to parse /etc/group... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users in multiple groups?

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! I have a question about adding users to multiple groups. Thanks in advance Using Red Hat and here are the issues: Example: Users: Bob Mark Groups: SystemsAnalysts BusinessAnalysts If I am adding a user Bob to both groups (SystemsAnalysts and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansokl
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating user groups that are persistent

Hi, I need to modify the user 'munfai' by adding it into groups bscs, oinstall, dba. I use this command as user root to add the user into the mentioned groups : # usermod -G bscs,oinstall,dba munfai I can thereafter see the id in the groups : # id munfai uid=258(munfai) gid=20(users)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
getent(1M)																getent(1M)

NAME
getent - get entries from administrative database SYNOPSIS
getent database [key...] getent gets a list of entries from the administrative database specified by database. The information generally comes from one or more of the sources that are specified for the database in /etc/nsswitch.conf. database is the name of the database to be examined. This can be passwd, group, hosts, ipnodes, services, protocols, ethers, project, net- works, or netmasks. For each of these databases, getent uses the appropriate library routines described in getpwnam(3C), getgrnam(3C), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), gethostbyname(3NSL), getipnodebyaddr(3SOCKET), getipnodebyname(3SOCKET), getservbyname(3SOCKET), getprotoby- name(3SOCKET), ethers(3SOCKET), getprojbyname(3PROJECT) and getnetbyname(3SOCKET), respectively. Each key must be in a format appropriate for searching on the respective database. For example, it can be a username or numeric-uid for passwd; hostname or IP address for hosts; or service, service/protocol, port, or port/proto for services. getent prints out the database entries that match each of the supplied keys, one per line, in the format of the matching administrative file: passwd(4), group(4), project(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), services(4), protocols(4), ethers(3SOCKET), networks(4), or netmasks(4). If no key is given, all entries returned by the corresponding enumeration library routine, for example, getpwent() or gethostent(), are printed. Enumeration is not supported on ipnodes. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 Command syntax was incorrect, an invalid option was used, or an internal error occurred. 2 At least one of the specified entry names was not found in the database. 3 There is no support for enumeration on this database. /etc/nsswitch.conf name service switch configuration file /etc/passwd password file /etc/group group file /etc/inet/hosts IPv4 host name database /etc/inet/ipnodes IPv4 and IPv6 host name database /etc/services Internet services and aliases /etc/project project file /etc/protocols protocol name database /etc/ethers Ethernet address to hostname database or domain /etc/networks network name database /etc/netmasks network mask database See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ethers(3SOCKET), getgrnam(3C), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), gethostbyname(3NSL), gethostent(3NSL), getipnodebyaddr(3SOCKET), getipnodeby- name(3SOCKET), getnetbyname(3SOCKET), getprojbyname(3PROJECT), getprotobyname(3SOCKET), getpwnam(3C), getservbyname(3SOCKET), group(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), netmasks(4), networks(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), project(4), protocols(4), services(4), attributes(5) 1 Feb 2005 getent(1M)